Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Maine Moose Lottery

Old 03-27-2014, 04:09 PM
car
Typical Buck

Default Maine Moose Lottery

Well my wife and I sent in for the lottery today. Deadline was fast approaching. I'm just about done sending in for the New England States draws. With the reduction in the amount of tags that is offered I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and go to New Brunswick. I do have 21 bonus point for this years draw. Does anyone else that plays the moose lottery feel the same way?
Old 03-27-2014, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went 0 for 6 when the wife and I lived there. Good Luck!
Old 03-28-2014, 01:39 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Ya I look at New England strictly as a huge bonus if drawn. If I really wanted to moose hunt no way I'd count on that! I got 15 Maine points this year, and quit NH after drawing with 8 points in 2012. Not worth starting from ground zero again. Good luck.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:57 AM
car
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Zim
Ya I look at New England strictly as a huge bonus if drawn. If I really wanted to moose hunt no way I'd count on that! I got 15 Maine points this year, and quit NH after drawing with 8 points in 2012. Not worth starting from ground zero again. Good luck.
I also apply in NH and Vermont. How did you do in NH?
Old 03-28-2014, 09:06 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by car
I also apply in NH and Vermont. How did you do in NH?
I saw only one mature bull in my 2 weeks there. But that is all I needed.
Link with some pics:
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/nort...ts-posted.html
Old 03-29-2014, 04:34 AM
car
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Zim
I saw only one mature bull in my 2 weeks there. But that is all I needed.
Link with some pics:
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/nort...ts-posted.html

Oh yeah! Real nice bull, congrats.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:50 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by car
Oh yeah! Real nice bull, congrats.
It was a hell of a hunt. I camped and got much help from hurricane1, who I met in that HN thread. But a lot of luck was involved as well. It was a shame to see the moose population so low, and it's gone way down since. Unfortunately it has been an easy decision for me to not reapply there. The draw odds are very low, and with the quota being cut bigtime the 2 years since my hunt, it's even worse. I hope this winter killed off some of that tick population, and the moose recover. Wish everyone luck in this year's lottery.

Another amazing thing about my tag for unit C2 was that a guy who moose hunted it twice lived in my same small town here in Illinois! What are the odds? He used to live in CT years ago. I think in 2012 only NR's from 6 states drew tags, including just one other guy from Illinois. And I meet this guy that lives 2 miles from me? Yikes.

Last edited by Zim; 03-29-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Spike

I bit the bullet and booked a 2016 Alberta Moose hunt. Of course I will still put in to draw in the states. Now by the time I draw a WY moose tag between the cost of the PP and the tag is half the cost of my Alberta hunt and I have to wait 15 yrs to draw on top of it. So in reality compared to a guided Canadian hunt for states where you have to build points your only saving a couple grand if you don't get a guide. If you get a guide its more or the same to hunt the states with tag and guide cost. You also don't have to wait in Canada and could moose hunt every year if you wanted. Good luck in your draw. Now the other thing is in the peace river region of Alberta you can pretty much expect to see 40-120 moose in a 8 day hunt. The place I'm going the worst week they had the guy "only saw" 70 moose in 8 days 11 of which were bulls which was the worst out of 15 hunters on the season. Now if you hunt fly in camps where bigger moose can be found you will be looking at 10 or less sightings most likely in 8 days and your cost of course goes up too.

Last edited by Elkhorn25; 04-03-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Spike

I had a great uncle who lived in Maine and I applied with him for years but stopped when he passed away. One thing that turned me off to Maine was you would pay minimum app fee for 1 point but could give extra money to buy more points. I don't know if it's the same way but I found it unfair. I also used to apply in NH but the odds are long. As previous post stated your better off hunting Canada, you don't save much money waiting for Maine or NH if you need to hire a guide and spent all those years buying points.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

The number of tags in NH took another big dive
this year down to 124 from 275 last year. Drawing
a tag there for a non-resident will be the about
as hard as winning the lottery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.