Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming Antelope

Old 02-23-2014, 06:03 AM
Spike

Default Wyoming Antelope

Hello all I am interested in hunting goats in Wyoming but have never been. I am not necessarily going in 2014 but want to build up a preferance point or two. How does one go about this can you just buy a preferance point or do you have to be in the draw for this year. I have looked at the site and after reading it im still unsure any help ?
Old 02-23-2014, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

The PP only application period when you can just buy a PP is from 7/1-9/30. Antelope is $30, deer is $40, and elk is $50. You just go into the G&F website, set up an account in your name and pay for them with your credit card. When you want to apply for a tag you do it the same way by going into that account and the application period is open for deer and antelope from 1/1-3/15. The application period is open for elk in just the month of January for NRs, and those draw results will be posted on their website at 10AM Mountain time tomorrow morning. I've hunted out there most every year since 1992 and know all the ins and outs of the system, so if you have any questions or need help just send me a PM and I'd be happy to help you.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 02-23-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

I don't want to hijack-but I am planning a hunt for this year and have similar questions.

1. Are you limited in how many PP an individual can buy per yr.?
2. The high profile units (lots of BLM and historical big buck units) take lots of points to draw. Can anyone suggest units that have high probability for Non-Res to successfully draw with 0 points, BUT still have descent public access to good goat populations?
Old 02-23-2014, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by desertloper
1. Are you limited in how many PP an individual can buy per yr.?

2. The high profile units (lots of BLM and historical big buck units) take lots of points to draw. Can anyone suggest units that have high probability for Non-Res to successfully draw with 0 points, BUT still have descent public access to good goat populations?
You are allowed to accumulate one (1) point per year, be it through a purchase of a point or an unsuccessful draw application.

Look at the Game and Fish site for draw statistics (http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/hunting-1000045.aspx). Some units have quite a bit of BLM or state lands - but limited (or no) public access to a lot of it. The G&F site has some good information on the units. You can also phone the local BLM office and you might get lucky enough to find a helpful person that can describe access.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 02-23-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

To follow up on the answer Big Uncle gave regarding PPs, you can also buy the PP during the application for a tag process between 1/1 and 3/15 and that PP will go for the following year just like if you bought it during the summer, if you don't draw your first choice unit. If you do draw your first choice, the G&F will refund that PP money because you can't buy a PP in the same year you draw a first choice tag. The site will also gray out on your account and not let you buy the PP during the summer if you drew a first choice tag earlier in the year and some have tried to do that to circumvent the system, but it won't work!
Also, there are very few units that you can draw with no PPs that have very much accessible public land to hunt that holds animals. Unit 23 is one that if you hunt hard in the BLM and also in the WIHA up in the NW corner you have a chance at success, but it's not typical antelope country and you need to be in shape like it's more of a deer or elk hunt than for antelope.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 02-23-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

Maybe this is stating the obvious, but its one pp per year per species. Also, if you procrastinate and wait until the last day to buy, Wyoming cuts off sales at close of business rather than midnight.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:02 AM
Spike

if you buy a preferance point is it statewide or is specific to a particular unit ?
Old 02-24-2014, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

PPs aren't unit specific until you apply for a tag with them.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

One tip for those that want to hunt WY for speed goats is to look into the reduced price doe/fawn tags. You can get them for less than $50 each and can have 2 tags. The area I like to hunt goats on is over by Farson and it takes 2-3 points for a non-resident to get a buck tag. So, while I'm building the points for the buck I can still hunt does for meat on the reduced priced tags. I think that is a pretty sweet deal.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags
One tip for those that want to hunt WY for speed goats is to look into the reduced price doe/fawn tags. You can get them for less than $50 each and can have 2 tags. The area I like to hunt goats on is over by Farson and it takes 2-3 points for a non-resident to get a buck tag. So, while I'm building the points for the buck I can still hunt does for meat on the reduced priced tags. I think that is a pretty sweet deal.
***Yep, they are actually only $34 if you buy them as leftovers and you can buy up to four, although many units only allow 2, so you would have to hunt a couple units to get that many. Wyoming also requires a $12.50 Conservation Stamp, regardless of where you hunt or what animal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.