Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Baited blinds terminology

Old 01-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Spike

Default Baited blinds terminology

I'm translating some material about large predators and their observation, photography, and hunting into English. I'm wondering if there is a term or terms in general use by the hunting community to describe blinds or other observation areas (temporary or permanent) to which carcasses are brought and replenished as bait to ensure the presence of animals that eat them.

The original material refers simply to "carcass" or "carcasses," but I've seen photos and there tend to be several at one time, and secured so that they won't be dragged away. There's a whole little operation going on at these locations.

Any terms relating to carcass-baited locations might prove useful. Or other terms for baited blinds, if there's nothing directly relevant.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only thing I know of here in the US is when people us beaver carcasses that were legally trapped for their pelts to bait black bears where that is legal. The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head would be the use of plains game that is used to bait leopards. There is really no special terminology for a blind where viewing, photograpy, or hunting takes place that I'm aware of.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:04 PM
Spike

OK, thanks for the info. At least I know I have some flexibility of terminology, then.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:00 PM
Spike

Location: Virginia, near the Rappahannock where fresh water turns salty

Tappahannock, Usually the bait is placed at several locations and after there is activity at a particular "bait" a blind or hide is constructed or placed near the active bait station. Many predators readily scavenge food if they find it. Lots of time the animals are only coming to the bait at night and that makes hunting particularly difficult. I am in Richmond County about 1/2 way between Warsaw to Kilmarnock. send me a PM here and perhaps I can be of some help. I have hunted all types of game for over 50 years. Best, 10 ga