HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Nonresident hunters rights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/387414-nonresident-hunters-rights.html)

Muley Hunter 11-25-2013 06:13 AM

I'm not looking for anything free. I get a fishing license free here, but hunting is the same as anybody. I don''t understand that. Don't seniors hunt, or do they think we're too old to do anything but fish?

I'm willing to pay for the tags. Just let me have one every year. How many 70 year old residents are hunting? It's no big deal for them to give us a guaranteed tag every year. It won't even cost them anything. We'll pay for the tags.

flags 11-25-2013 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4101384)
I'm not looking for anything free. I get a fishing license free here, but hunting is the same as anybody. I don''t understand that. Don't seniors hunt, or do they think we're too old to do anything but fish?

I'm willing to pay for the tags. Just let me have one every year. How many 70 year old residents are hunting? It's no big deal for them to give us a guaranteed tag every year. It won't even cost them anything. We'll pay for the tags.

I've spent 25 years on active duty and have paid Colorado income taxes every one of those years even if I never set foot in the state. I've also paid property taxes for every one of those years. I'm now 50 and I don't even get a free fishing license or a small game license. But then, I don't expect it either. I have no problem paying for licenses.

Hunters and fishermen pay for the game. Always have, always will. if they give me a free license then that means someone else is paying my way. I'll pass. If I can't pay my own way then I need to do a better job managing my finances. Elk, deer, fishing and small game amount to less than $120 for me as a resident. That's a whopping $10 a month or less than 2 trips to the burger joint.

Like Muley, I'm willing to pay but it irritates me when I can't get a tag but someone from another state can. Something is basically wrong with that scenario.

olsaltydog 11-25-2013 08:38 AM

Not sure where i stand on this issue. Think all states resident and NR license fees are going up. Glad at least my state we have a lifetime license so i don't have to purchase one every year. I paid once and I am done. Now the money i originally paid though is used by the state wildlife commission and they invest that money. They are only authorized to spend interest or money made off of our invested money. Think it may be something other states can look into but like many things it may not work for everyone.

For the NR tags though think those should be reserved for Federal Lands and Outfitters. That would put all non residents on lands either privately/ corp owned or federally owned leaving all state citizens with access to their own states resources. With special waivers for Military Veterans to allow them to hunt within any state they are stationed within as a resident.

flags 11-25-2013 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by olsaltydog (Post 4101418)
With special waivers for Military Veterans to allow them to hunt within any state they are stationed within as a resident.

This is already observed. When someone is stationed in a state, they can buy resident hunting licenses for that state. Additionally if they claim a different state as a home of record, they can hunt as a resident of that state as well. Using myself as an example, I am stationed in VA with the Navy so I am legally allowed to buy a resident VA hunting license but my official home of record is CO and I still maintain a CO address and driver's license. So I can also buy resident licenses in CO. It is one of the benefits given to military and I am not aware of a single that doesn't follow this policy.

Here is what your state of NC says about it: Non-resident members of the armed forces, including their spouses and children under 18, who are stationed in the State are deemed residents of the State and of the counties in which they reside.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Licensing/...finitions.aspx

c-rad 11-25-2013 08:58 AM

In Colorado it saves me $800 a year being in the military stationed here. I doubt I would hunt all the animals each year if I had to pay NR rates.

olsaltydog 11-25-2013 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4101426)
This is already observed. When someone is stationed in a state, they can buy resident hunting licenses for that state. Additionally if they claim a different state as a home of record, they can hunt as a resident of that state as well. Using myself as an example, I am stationed in VA with the Navy so I am legally allowed to buy a resident VA hunting license but my official home of record is CO and I still maintain a CO address and driver's license. So I can also buy resident licenses in CO. It is one of the benefits given to military and I am not aware of a single that doesn't follow this policy.

Here is what your state of NC says about it: Non-resident members of the armed forces, including their spouses and children under 18, who are stationed in the State are deemed residents of the State and of the counties in which they reside.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Licensing/...finitions.aspx

I was aware of NC's license waivers for the military just wasnt sure about all other states so to not miss something i listed it. Kinda like when i was in the Navy certain states didnt require you to renew your drivers license while active duty but other states still required you to renew it.

txhunter58 11-25-2013 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4101355)
I'm a lifelong Colorado resident and a 5th generation native. I've always said I'd gladly pay 5x what they ask for a tag if I could be ensured there would be less people in the woods during the season. I have no issue with an elk tag going for $100 if the crowds were thinned out accordingly.

But, it ain't gonna happen. Can you imagine how the Texans would scream if we cut them off? LOL

SCREEEEEEAAAMMMM

Hi, my name is David and I am an elkoholic.

Going to $100 for residents would probably thin out the resident crowds just like the $600 NR tag has thinned NRs out (30,000 less NR elk hunters). But there is no way you would come close to making up the lost revenue if they cut us off. Then you would hear the Parks and wildlife and the communitites that make money from us scream.

bowedark 11-26-2013 09:04 AM

Providing hunting opportunities to the next generation

Nonresidents as well residents could benefit from a program like I am proposing. They are also matters such as making access to landlocked public land.
All hunters need representation in legislation not just nonresidents on public land access. You know the rancher and the outfitter in the have their representatives just not the West.

And this is where the heart of the matter is rancher & outfitters have their representative.

We've all seen and heard reports and I've experienced. States give ranchers tags with an allocation of public tags in the drawings. And the rest are open to the highest bidder.You are allowed no time for scouting the unit and the area is less than prime areas.

The nonresident as no one representative his/hers interest legislature. We send and spend millions of dollars to states each year.

I've hunted some great trophies unit,got some and some I didn't, but that makes the trip worthwhile. It will make me smile on my deathbed

I'm older now. I have a decade and a half of points in a lot of states I know I can choose my tags. So I don't think it will affect me much.

In some states it's a constitutional right to hunt. Vermont has one of most hunter friendly state (laws) that have had a chance to hunt

By would by the way a little footnote. I have found more prime hunting areas, talking to the women in the grocery store checkout lines. They have put me on many a Bulls and bucks. by the way don't tell my husband

Champlain Islander 11-26-2013 09:16 AM

Yup in Vt we have a right to hunt any land we want to as long as it isn't posted. If a private landowner doesn't have it posted and asks you to leave you have to do so immediately as well as show your license if he asks. We have quite a bit of posted land in certain parts of the state but plenty of open hunting land too. Often a knock on the door on a posted piece will result in them allowing you to hunt. There was a lot more open hunting land when I grew up and unfortunately many of the larger tracts of land which used to be farms are no longer operating and have been bought up by out of staters who don't believe in the proud hunting traditions I grew up with.

Muley Hunter 11-26-2013 10:20 AM

Colorado is different. Land owners don't need to post their land, but you still can't go on the land. Trespassing fines are not friendly.

It's up to the hunter, fisherman, and hiker to know where the private land is here. If you shoot game, and it runs on private land that you don't know about. You could be in trouble if you go after it.

Just saying.