Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Non guided hunt

Old 11-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of people seem to do well for pronghorn in Wyoming, but again I think you have to apply for a tag, but they are easy to draw in some areas.

Colorado has lots of bears and the fall bear hunts have improved after they stopped the spring season. I elk hunt in units 42 and 70-71 and it is rare I don't see a bear during muzzleloading season (September). There are bear tags for september with a rifle that you can put in for. Bait is not allowed, but many people will sit near a gut pile
Old 11-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Spike

Muzzle loader, hhhhmmmm. What about archery? I don't own a muzzle loader, and frankly that looks more complicated than archery.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just an observation but all the various game departments have pretty good websites. I would imagine an awful lot of your questions such as seasons and tags can be answered there. If it was me, I'd be checking each and every one of them, pick a state and then start asking specific questions.

Until you know what and where you want to hunt, nothing else matters.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Archery in Colorado for deer adn elk is OTC in most units and runs for almost the entire month of September
Old 11-13-2013, 05:58 AM
Spike

I do look at the other states websites and it is confusing. Colorado has GMUs that I think are like Texas' WMAs. Just more complicated, I'm going to call the Colorado DNR today hopefully and figure this thing out.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 00possum
I do look at the other states websites and it is confusing. Colorado has GMUs that I think are like Texas' WMAs. Just more complicated, I'm going to call the Colorado DNR today hopefully and figure this thing out.
Their help desk at the main office in Denver is pretty good. What is it about GMU that you find complicated? Basically they divide the state up into the GMU based and geographical areas or herd structure. Some of the units (1,2,201, 10 etc...) are managed for trophies so they are hard to get tags for. Other units are easy to get tags for. They publish recaps every season that show the number of preference points for each unit and they also publish harvest statistics for each. This makes it easy to look over several years worth of data and get a historical average.

Another good tool they have on their web site is interactive GMU maps. You can apply various "layers" that will show wildlife densities based on different seasons. In other words you can see where elk are in the summer, fall and winter. This helps indicate possible migration routes or to show likely areas to look for game.

I grew up in CO and have hunted there most of my life. I don't find the GMU too complicated. The regulation brochure clearly tells where the boundaries between each are. WY uses a very similar system.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
It won't seem complicated if you grew up with it. It is for someone new to it. I hear this over and over from someone new to Colorado.
Which is why I asked what he found complicated. If I know what he finds difficult I may be able to "redneck" it down for him. Can't help the guy if I don't know the issue.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:11 AM
Spike

It won't seem complicated if you grew up with it. It is for someone new to it. I hear this over and over from someone new to Colorado.

Yes, samething about Texas. I called them yesterday and the guy was real patient with me about it. He said I could hunt state parks and I had to know where I could hunt.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

...Deleted by CalHunter...

Their help desk at the main office in Denver is pretty good. What is it about GMU that you find complicated?

Last edited by CalHunter; 11-15-2013 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Insulting other members and rules violations
Old 11-14-2013, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

...Deleted by CalHunter...]

Here is is:

Their help desk at the main office in Denver is pretty good.(The man had noted he was going to call so I told him the main office is helpful) What is it about GMU that you find complicated?(I'm asking for some clarification so I can help him) Basically they divide the state up into the GMU based and geographical areas or herd structure. Some of the units (1,2,201, 10 etc...) are managed for trophies so they are hard to get tags for. Other units are easy to get tags for.(Offering basic info as to the way the units are arranged and how tags are allocated) They publish recaps every season that show the number of preference points for each unit and they also publish harvest statistics for each.(More additional info that shows which tags can be easily drawn and to check harvest rates. You know, helping him understand where to get additional info on the specific GMUs) This makes it easy to look over several years worth of data and get a historical average....Deleted by CalHunter...

Another good tool they have on their web site is interactive GMU maps. You can apply various "layers" that will show wildlife densities based on different seasons. In other words you can see where elk are in the summer, fall and winter. This helps indicate possible migration routes or to show likely areas to look for game.(telling him about a very hepful interactive tool to show a lot of info about the particular units. You can even export the info and print out custom maps for your use. Have you ever used it or told anyone about it?)

I grew up in CO and have hunted there most of my life. I don't find the GMU too complicated.(Simple statement of fact, I don't find it complicated and because of that I can probably explain it. Note: THIS IS AT THE END OF THE POST AFTER HE SAID HE FOUND THE GMU COMPLICATED. ...Deleted by CalHunter... The regulation brochure clearly tells where the boundaries between each are.(Pretty clear. With the boundaries explained the info can be put on other maps such as topos. It clearly indicates the geographical locations and extents of the units. Note: I DIDN"T SAY IT WAS ALL EXPLAINED IN THE BROCHURE, just that the boundries are. ...Deleted by CalHunter... WY uses a very similar system. (A simple note, since the man is asking about several states, this info will also help him in WY.)

If the originator of this topic would like some help understanding the CO GMUs and how to make them work to his advantage, I welcome him to send me a PM and I'll help him out.

Last edited by CalHunter; 11-15-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Insulting other members and rules violations

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.