Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

WV Bear

Old 11-07-2013, 03:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default WV Bear

My first bear after hoping for one in over 40 years of bowhunting. It was a very windy evening I really didn't expect to see anything but 2 young deer came in around 5 they fed around for about 20 minutes. I was hoping to see an 8 point that had been coming around, all of a sudden both deer took off like crazy I wondered what had scared them I knew it wasn't me as the wind was in my face and I was 30 ft in a Hugh pine. I looked up the hill and saw the bear coming I had just enough time to pick up my bow and draw when she hit 25 yards I let fly. The bear grunted one time and took off I lowered my bow and went to where she was standing when I shot there was blood there so I went about 30 yards and there she was. I couldn't believe it had only went that far the 100 grain steelhead had done it's job.
Attached Thumbnails WV Bear-100_6336.jpg   WV Bear-100_6344.jpg  
Old 11-07-2013, 03:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a good looking Bear, congrats on the long wait finally coming to an end.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on a fine bear.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sweet!

The makings of some fine meals and what looks like a really nice skin for a rug. Make sure you bleach out the skull too. They look really cool on a shelf.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pretty cool. How's the tags work there? Did you need a bear tag?
Old 11-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Pretty cool. How's the tags work there? Did you need a bear tag?
I don't know about WV, but in VA when you buy a big game license you get 6 deer tags, 3 turkey tags and a bear tag. Plus you can get a lot of "bonus" deer tags. It is possible to take 20+ deer a year in VA if you want.

I have a Navy buddy whose grandparents own a farm on the Blue Ridge. They get damage tags to protect the corn crop. We've taken up to 15 in a weekend using those permits. All the meat from those tags is donated to the poor so they don't go to waste.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats! don't throw away the fat...render it down! its really good!
Old 11-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
congrats! don't throw away the fat...render it down! its really good!
Makes really good patch, and bullet lube. Taste like crap!
Old 11-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags
I don't know about WV, but in VA when you buy a big game license you get 6 deer tags, 3 turkey tags and a bear tag. Plus you can get a lot of "bonus" deer tags. It is possible to take 20+ deer a year in VA if you want.

I have a Navy buddy whose grandparents own a farm on the Blue Ridge. They get damage tags to protect the corn crop. We've taken up to 15 in a weekend using those permits. All the meat from those tags is donated to the poor so they don't go to waste.
I'm not sure I could enjoy getting so many tags so easily. I like the challenge of getting the tag, but especially trying to get a mature buck on millions of acre's of public land. I get bored easily when something is too easy.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:39 PM
car
Typical Buck

Congrats on a nice bear. Got to love that bear hunting! Did ya get a chance to weigh him?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.