Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Opening day Bull

Old 11-06-2013, 02:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flags
I've killed 25 elk and I have never drug an elk a single foot. I carry a pack frame and at lest 4 game bags. I bone them where they hit the ground and leave the hide, guts, head and bones there. Coyotes have to eat too and that's their share. I seldom bring out antlers unless required by law.

I can completely bone an elk in less than 2 hrs with only a knife. You don't even have to gut it if you know what you're doing. Edible meat on most animals is about 40% of the live weight. Hide, head, blood, bones, hooves and gut comprise around 60%. So, an elk like that, which is probably around 600 lbs live weight can be reduced to about 240 lbs of boned meat. This means 4 trips packing with a 60 lb pack. Not too hard to do. If you have the pack frame with you, the first load comes out while you're headed to the truck.
You should be my guide, as I'll never have a chance to do anything like that. But I'd want the trophy.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by the blur
I could never imagine dragging 1/2 that back to my truck. I'd need to 1/4 it with my cordless sawzall, then get a plastic sled.
Sawzall?? I'm 70 years old, and hunt elk alone. This is all I need to take an elk apart, and get it back to my Jeep.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Sawzall?? I'm 70 years old, and hunt elk alone. This is all I need to take an elk apart, and get it back to my Jeep.

70 yo, and you know how to post pictures on the internet. Very impressive.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, and unlike you. I also know how to kill elk.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Killing the Elk is no problem. Butchering it in the field. Yes, that poses a major problem.

Please take a video of it next time, and post it all for us to see.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sure, just for your pleasure.

You'll have to get the sawzall technique from someone else though.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Typical Buck

And these nimrods who boast and thump their chests on this forum have probably killed an elk or two and that makes them instant experts. Old farts like us who have been doing it all our lives need to listen to these guys. We might learn something.
LOL
Old 11-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

He thinks butchering an elk in the field is a big deal, and also thinks you need a sawzall to do it. That tells me he's never killed an elk.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

I'd hate to tote the generator it would take to run a sawzall.

I'd rather quarter the elk at the kill site and tote the quarters out.

But then I usually shoot elk where you can't drive an ATV up to the dead critter.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Please take a video of it next time, and post it all for us to see.

The Colorado Division of Wildlife sells a pretty good video that shows hot to bone an elk in the field. It isn't the exact system I use but it is pretty close.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.