Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Allow me to introduce myself >

Allow me to introduce myself

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Allow me to introduce myself

Old 10-21-2013, 04:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Allow me to introduce myself

Hello to all,

I’d like to take this opportunity to introduce myself since I just joined this site. My name is Tom and my online name is Flags. I’m a Chief Petty Officer in the United States Navy and am getting ready to retire. In Apr 2014 I’ll have 25 years of active duty under my belt and I’m to the point where I need to turn the reins over to a younger generation.

I’m originally from Golden, Colorado but haven’t spent much time in the state since the Navy has insisted on keeping me elsewhere. I’m still officially a Colorado resident but seriously doubt I’ll retire there. Every time I return there I end up longing for the Colorado of my youth and it saddens me to see what the state has turned into with the massive influx of liberal transplants from other states. My wife and I are sort of leaning towards either Alabama or Tennessee but haven’t made firm decisions yet.

I'm sitting on 20 elk preference points, 13 deer preference points, 3+10 weighted moose points, 3+12 weighted sheep points, 13 bear points and 9 pronghorn points, all for Colorado. Want to guess where I'll be next fall after I retire? I've also got 5 preference points for pronghorn in WY and 8 preference points for moose in NH.

I am an avid hunter and fisherman and have been blessed to hunt many species in many states. So far I have held tags for Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska, Kansas, California, Hawaii, Texas, Alabama, Florida, Virginia, Pennsylvania and New Hampshire. I have also hunted British Columbia a couple of times and have made 5 safaris to South Africa, Zimbabwe and Cameroon. Places I’d like to hunt include Scotland, Mongolia, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina and Alaska.

I’ve successfully hunted Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer, Blacktail Deer, Black Bear, Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goat, Pronghorn, Bison, Wild Boar, Alligator and some exotics in Texas. I’ve taken about 20 species of plains game in Africa including Roan, Eland, Kudu, Gemsbok, Wildebeest, Impala, Warthog and Zebra. Of all the game I’ve hunted I have always had a real special place in my heart for elk which is understandable since I come from a family of elk fanatics in Colorado. If my count is correct, I have personally taken about 25 elk and have been in on the talking of around 100 others. I also go after rabbits, squirrels, upland game and waterfowl every chance I get and just started turkey hunting last spring.

I’m not much of a bow hunter because I have never been able to devote the time to get good enough with a bow to shoot at a living animal. The chance of wounding is just too high with my minimal skill level. But I have done a lot of hunting with black powder for Mule Deer, Elk and Whitetail. I use a variety of firearms with a 7mm Rem Mag being my go to gun. I also use a 6.5x55 Swedish, a 6.5x54 MS, a 9.3x62 Mauser, 375 H&H Mag and a T/C Contender in 7mm TCU. One thing I find as I get older is that I use the 7mm Mag less and less and the 9.3x62 more and more. If you haven’t played with a 9.3 I highly recommend it.

I look forward to exchanging ideas, opinions and experiences with all of you.

Cheers

Flags

Last edited by flags; 10-21-2013 at 04:02 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the forum. I can't believe you'd leave Colorado for the south? You'll be hunting in tree stands on small parcels of land there. At least that what they say when you ask them why they hunt with the squirrels.

Stay in the west somewhere where you have lots of public land to hunt. Nobody goes to the south from the west to hunt as a non resident. Nobody I know anyway. Reverse that. How many from the south come here to hunt? There's a good reason for that.

Anyway, what you said stuck me as odd. I moved to Colorado to hunt and fish, and you want to move away from it. Screw the liberals here. I don't see them affecting my hunting one bit. Get away from the Denver area for one thing.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

Welcome aboard flags.

Your bio is just about the same as mine. We've hunted in a lot of the same places and killed much of the same game. I was actually in Golden last week, hiking on North Table Mountain, and Coors is still my favorite beer. But I grew up in Lakewood (before it was a city), I was in the Army, and I left Colorado for Montana.

Although I was born in Denver, like Muley Hunter said, there's a lot more to Colorado than that East Slope mega-metropolis.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gents, I was born and raised in CO. I'm a 5th generation native. My family has been in CO since before the Civil War. I fully understand that there is more to CO than the sewer of the front range. But, anyone that has taken a look around will easily see that CO is rapidly becoming CA. It may not be obvious to those there full time but I see it more and more every time I come back. Look at the B.S. laws that they are passing. I was stationed in CA for 3 years and the CA attitude is rampant in CO now. It's sad, but it is true.

That being said, hunting in CO may for the time being still be very good. But, do you really expect it to stay that way with the huge number of incoming transplants from CA? I remember when we had a spring bear hunt, when we could use dogs on bear and when we could trap. None of those are legal now. Rifle deer and elk seasons used to be 3 weeks long and not most of them run a week now. How long do you think it will be before they shut down cougar hunting? Face it, the entire mindset in CO is quickly changing. I don't believe I can live and function there any more. I've never wanted to live in CA but that is what CO is turning into.

And, anyone that would discredit the hunting in the south probably hasn't hunted there much. Where you can take 1 deer in CO, the Southern states allow up to 10 or 12 a year. Some of the biggest bear taken every year come from NC and TN. Year round hunting for hog, much better small game and waterfowl than in the west and the forests are huge. I admit there are no elk, moose, sheep or goats to speak of but I can travel to hunt those if I want to. I have never yet hunted a "small" area and I don't sit in a tree stand I hunt by still hunting. Besides, no snow to shovel, the liberals don't want to come down there, the cost of living is much cheaper, on average the people are more friendly, and the economy is booming.

It isn't a done deal, but I'm pretty sure my days in the west are numbered. I own a place in Peetz but I doubt if I ever live in it again.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

You said the magic words for me. No elk hunting there. I've hunted elk for 62 years. I could never give it up.

However, i'm not you, and it's just me and the dog. So, you do what's best for you.

One thing I hate with a passion is humidity. That alone would keep me away from the south. I'd prefer to be in a blizzard than sweating.

Then again, i've always been a bit different.

I'm also a still hunter, so we have that in common. It's hard to beat all the timber in Colorado.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You said the magic words for me. No elk hunting there. I've hunted elk for 62 years. I could never give it up.

You have me by a few years. I just went over 50 and I shot my first elk on Dad's tag when I was 7 (the statute of limitations has run out . ) So, I've been hunting elk for 43 years. I've taken 25 of them so it wouldn't bother me not to hunt them as much. That being said, I have enough points for the Unit 2 either sex tag and I intend on cashing them in next fall. Huge and I mean huge bulls live in 2. Some of the biggest bulls in the state come from there and it takes 19 points to draw. I have 20.

However, i'm not you, and it's just me and the dog. So, you do what's best for you.

It's not just me. My wife is originally from NH and she is pretty vocal about not living where there is a lot of snow. If you have ever been to New England in Jan you will understand where she is coming from. To be honest if it was just me and a dog I'd be on my way to Alaska without looking back.

One thing I hate with a passion is humidity. That alone would keep me away from the south. I'd prefer to be in a blizzard than sweating.

I understand where you are coming from. But after 25 years of being around the ocean in the Navy, humidity is something I've gotten used to.

Then again, i've always been a bit different.

Likewise. I've always marched to the beat of my own drum for the most part

I'm also a still hunter, so we have that in common. It's hard to beat all the timber in Colorado.

Have you ever spent much time on the Blue Ridge or hunted through mile after mile of hardwoods in the fall? How about the pine forests of the South? Trust me, if you haven't then you may not understand that those areas have timber that Colorado could hardly dream about.
Like I said, it isn't completely a done deal on retiring in the South. One thing, they sure have a lot more deer down that way.

Cheers
Old 10-22-2013, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sure have been to New England. I was born and grew up in Mass.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flags
Hello to all,

I’d like to take this opportunity to introduce myself since I just joined this site. My name is Tom and my online name is Flags. I’m a Chief Petty Officer in the United States Navy and am getting ready to retire. In Apr 2014 I’ll have 25 years of active duty under my belt and I’m to the point where I need to turn the reins over to a younger generation.

I’m originally from Golden, Colorado but haven’t spent much time in the state since the Navy has insisted on keeping me elsewhere. I’m still officially a Colorado resident but seriously doubt I’ll retire there. Every time I return there I end up longing for the Colorado of my youth and it saddens me to see what the state has turned into with the massive influx of liberal transplants from other states. My wife and I are sort of leaning towards either Alabama or Tennessee but haven’t made firm decisions yet.

I'm sitting on 20 elk preference points, 13 deer preference points, 3+10 weighted moose points, 3+12 weighted sheep points, 13 bear points and 9 pronghorn points, all for Colorado. Want to guess where I'll be next fall after I retire? I've also got 5 preference points for pronghorn in WY and 8 preference points for moose in NH.

I am an avid hunter and fisherman and have been blessed to hunt many species in many states. So far I have held tags for Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska, Kansas, California, Hawaii, Texas, Alabama, Florida, Virginia, Pennsylvania and New Hampshire. I have also hunted British Columbia a couple of times and have made 5 safaris to South Africa, Zimbabwe and Cameroon. Places I’d like to hunt include Scotland, Mongolia, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina and Alaska.

I’ve successfully hunted Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer, Blacktail Deer, Black Bear, Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goat, Pronghorn, Bison, Wild Boar, Alligator and some exotics in Texas. I’ve taken about 20 species of plains game in Africa including Roan, Eland, Kudu, Gemsbok, Wildebeest, Impala, Warthog and Zebra. Of all the game I’ve hunted I have always had a real special place in my heart for elk which is understandable since I come from a family of elk fanatics in Colorado. If my count is correct, I have personally taken about 25 elk and have been in on the talking of around 100 others. I also go after rabbits, squirrels, upland game and waterfowl every chance I get and just started turkey hunting last spring.

I’m not much of a bow hunter because I have never been able to devote the time to get good enough with a bow to shoot at a living animal. The chance of wounding is just too high with my minimal skill level. But I have done a lot of hunting with black powder for Mule Deer, Elk and Whitetail. I use a variety of firearms with a 7mm Rem Mag being my go to gun. I also use a 6.5x55 Swedish, a 6.5x54 MS, a 9.3x62 Mauser, 375 H&H Mag and a T/C Contender in 7mm TCU. One thing I find as I get older is that I use the 7mm Mag less and less and the 9.3x62 more and more. If you haven’t played with a 9.3 I highly recommend it.

I look forward to exchanging ideas, opinions and experiences with all of you.

Cheers

Flags
You've had quite a life, look forward to hearing some of your stories, welcome to the forum
Old 10-22-2013, 10:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome Tom , Ex Navy myself. Enjoy the site!