Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Maine black bear hunting help (first year) >

Maine black bear hunting help (first year)

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Maine black bear hunting help (first year)

Old 08-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Spike

Default Maine black bear hunting help (first year)

This is my first year hunting and baiting black bear. Ive hunted deer so its not totally new to me. My girlfriends dad , Jim, is a maine guide who is setting me up with bait and 50 gallon drums. He heard word and people complaining of a nuisance bear 300+ pounds in an area he wanted to get in the area but couldn't get to anyone to open up their land to him. I happen to mow a lawn for a lady on the opposite side of the main road that goes through there. So i got permission from the land owner and Jim helped me find an awesome site for my bait and stand..
Now my question is how to i get the bear to my bait, i know im the only one in a 15 mile radius baiting. I'm also near a peninsula. For bait i have donuts, nugget, and fluff. I also have french fries and hash browns from a factory up north, Jim is trying this out to see how it works (lots of grease). Word says the bear is about a mile maybe a tad more across the main road and lives in the woods. How to i get him across the road and towards my bait?? The area is covered in different types of berries everywhere. I spray a mixture of Anise and Vanilla to cover my tracks and round the area, gives off a very strong liquorish scent.There aren't many signs of bear at all but this land is the only place i can get my bait.. Deer cover this area i spook 3-4 every time i go check my bait, saw a 6 pointer a couple days ago also. If anyone can give me a few tips that'd be awesome.

Thank you!
Old 08-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome to the forum.

The primary things you need for Maine are bug spray and a come-a-long to pull your vehicle out of the mud.

A saw and axe are good good to cut stuff to put under the tires. A jack to lift the vehicle onto the sticks also.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Spike

If there is no baiting in the area where you are now baiting, you are doing pretty well. The bear will smell what you are putting down and will probably come to the bait. When, is the question. He may come in after legal shooting time or he may come in during the day when you are not there. He didn't get big by being dumb. You say he is a nuisence bear, then he is coming around where people can see him or signs of him. That is a plus for you. You said there are wild berries in the area. Most bears will eat the wild stuff instead of bait. That may pose a problem. Also, don't be shocked to find that there are more bears around than people know about. You may have some smaller ones come in. Be patient and talk to your Uncle about the bears in the area. It sounds like you have a sporting chance at the big guy.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Spike

Yeah, from what ive been told. I found a nice spot where i shouldnt be fighting with other hunters bait sites. I figured if he is comfortable with being around humans, or getting close to them and their homes, i shouldnt have to worry about scent as much, also means he's hungry and looking for food. I am still using scent cover products though just incase. I didnt think the berries would be a problem until you said that, I was hoping it would keep him in the immediate area but now that you mention it, it may keep him off the bait. I was also thinking about doing a "honey burn" ive read alot about, if i dont see any action soon.. any tips on that? Thanks for the info!!
Old 08-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Spike

I don't know much about honey burns. I know some people swear by them but I have not used one. When I bear hunt in Maine I use Ross Lake Camps and I am way out in the middle of the North Woods. I have hunted out West also including spot and stalk where bait is not allowed. I really prefer the East and North Central environments best. I would recommend that you do try to keep your scent to a minimum in spite of your proximity to houses and people. Bears can recognize surrounding scents as opposed to scents in the immediate area like near your bait. As a foot note, I would say that any where in Maine you would stand a good chance at at least seeing a bear. Keep us informed.