Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bucket List

Old 08-16-2013, 05:49 AM
Spike

Default Bucket List

I'm 62 and have always wanted to go on an elk hunt and I'm going to do it in 2014. I have 2 preference points for Colorado. I'm quite overwhelmed by all of the different licenses, GMU's, and all. This will probably be my once in a lifetime. So, I know I will hire a guide. I need recomendations and I need help in understanding my odds in drawing with two points for the various seasons. I think I'd like muzzle load due to hunting in the rut. But is it possible to draw a ML tag with 2 points in a good area? I would love to talk with someone with experience who could mentor me in this. If you are willing I'd sure appreciate it.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

I haven't hunted in Colorado yet but you may want to figure out which guide you want first as that could impact the area you put in for. If the guide hunts in more than one area, they might have additional suggestions also.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:19 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by smirish51
I'm 62 and have always wanted to go on an elk hunt and I'm going to do it in 2014. I have 2 preference points for Colorado. I'm quite overwhelmed by all of the different licenses, GMU's, and all. This will probably be my once in a lifetime. So, I know I will hire a guide. I need recomendations and I need help in understanding my odds in drawing with two points for the various seasons. I think I'd like muzzle load due to hunting in the rut. But is it possible to draw a ML tag with 2 points in a good area? I would love to talk with someone with experience who could mentor me in this. If you are willing I'd sure appreciate it.
Have you thought about Wyoming. Wyoming has ways to make your odds of drawing a tag better.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

As stated, if you are going to use a guide, find a guide. An outfitter will know the details relative to areas, seasons, odds, etc... Shop around, check references. Its too much money and too few opportunities to not get a good outfitter.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

There are plenty of units you could draw with 2 points but you are
not going to draw a great or even real good unit with two points.
If hiring an outfitter and he has access to private land that will
help your odds of success considerably. I would suggest
calling Eastmans or the Hunting Fool staff for a guide
recommendation. Best of Luck.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:40 AM
Typical Buck

I have 2 preference points as a resident of Colorado for muzzle loader bull elk. Good luck you might be 4 years out.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are not going to draw a top unit with 2 points. However, the ranches enrolled in the Ranching for Wildlife program can sell you a guided hunt on their properties without regard to points. It will be expensive, but their seasons are much more generous than normal seasons and the required weapon rules may not apply.

These are large ranches with large amounts of game so it should be a very good hunt if you can afford the price.