Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Kaycee WY Info?

Old 08-01-2013, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default Kaycee WY Info?

Hello I'm looking for information on the Kaycee WY area.
I've got Unit 21 Antelope & Unit Y Mule Deer for this Oct, never been to WY so really looking for some local knowledge to point me in the right direction.
Ive hunted all over the West & Canada but never WY & super excited about my up comming hunt. Anyone willing to give me some pointers?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

First, get a BLM map to identify state and federal land you can access from public roads. A great deal of the good public land around Kaycee is landlocked by private land and finding public land you can hunt can be tricky. (I'm assuming you don't already have access across private land secured) I get several letters a year from people asking for permission to cross my land to get to public land. Unfortunately I can't do this without pissing off my neighbors. I'm about 10 miles NW of Kaycee.

Access is the key. Once you have that the rest is just scouting. The game is plentiful and well distributed. A lot of people check the tax records at the Johnson County courthouse and identify landowners to contact to obtain permission. This often works.

If I had deer as well as antelope tags I'd look hard at the area around Mayoworth. (Mesa Rd. , Greub Rd. , Slip Rd. ) This area is up close to the mountain and holds good numbers of both.

Good Luck
Old 08-01-2013, 08:57 AM
Spike

If you have a GPS go to huntgpsmaps.com and get the maps for your gps there they help a bunch.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

He better not take the advice to shoot his antelope up in the Mayoworth area, as that is way up in unit 20. Unit 21 where he has a tag is southwest of Kaycee and not even close to where you mentioned. I would concur that the area is good for his Y deer tag, but the roads you mentioned are all over on the east side of the unit where it is 95% or more private land compared to further west of there quite a ways where the BLM land is that he needs to hunt.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 08-01-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

My bad on the antelope hunt area.

Oops !!
Old 08-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
My bad on the antelope hunt area.

Oops !!

***We'll forgive you, but just this one time, LOL!!!
Old 02-14-2016, 08:32 PM
Spike

Default Antelope & Deer

I was able to get a leftover tag for area 21, I contacted the local Game Warden for Kaycee - Grant, he offered a lot of feedback. I would recommend this resource. The Game Warden offered me names of land owners for area 21, I contacted Emerick who owns land in 21, he offered us the entire ranch for 3 days. Initially, we were looking for public land but enjoyed having a ranch to ourselves. We all had an amazing hunt with 3 great bucks! Not sure how the deer hunting was, we just hunted Antelope. Good luck hunting!

Originally Posted by sdeshazo
Hello I'm looking for information on the Kaycee WY area.
I've got Unit 21 Antelope & Unit Y Mule Deer for this Oct, never been to WY so really looking for some local knowledge to point me in the right direction.
Ive hunted all over the West & Canada but never WY & super excited about my up comming hunt. Anyone willing to give me some pointers?