Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

first elk hunt

Old 09-23-2003, 09:44 PM
Spike

Default first elk hunt

Im going on my first elk hunt in about a week. Any one got any pointers?
I will be hunting in utah, the south slope. north of vernal. Never seen the country, just looked at some topo' s and ariel photos.
What should i look for to know there are elk around? I dont want to go out somewhere and look at land and say that looks good. i think i' ll hunt here for a week, and there not be an elk with in 50 miles.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:39 AM

Default RE: first elk hunt

eyeballjr:

Good luck on the hunt. I am not familiar with the area but here is what I did in WY my first elk hunt. 1. I looked at the number of available tags in your area of choice as compared to the rest (just to judge herd). 2. I got topos - as you did. 3. I called the game biologist that covers that area and the game warden and asked them all sorts of questions - the biologist is better sometimes because the are tuned in to the herd instead of law enforcement. 4. when I got to the closest town before we headed into the hills - I got supplies and stopped at the local sporting goods shop and gas station and poked around for some info. They don' t always want to share info but usually they will give you some pointers. 5. I got camp set up a day and a half ahead of time and took some time to do some additional scouting and look for sign - not too much though or in the wrong places - don' t want to push them out of the area. Always look for water.

Get a big one
Old 09-24-2003, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' d make at least one phone call to the DOW in Utah and discuss with them what area that you will be hunting in and they should be able to give ya some pointers. If you' ve never hunted elk, you' ll see when you get there, that elk country is HUGE. They may be able to give ya at least some general direction to certain drainages to check. Also, don' t be shy when you get in the area. Stop and talk with other hunters that you see, they may or may not help ya, but it don' t hurt to talk with them anyways. Good Luck!
Old 09-24-2003, 10:07 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info.talked to the bioligist and he gave some real good info. I should get there 2 days before season, that should give me plenty of time to look around. There are all kinds of lakes up there, the bioligist said it has been dry, and they should be around water.
So here is my next question, do you hunt where you can see the water, or maybe hunt near trails to the water, or would there even be any trails?
Old 09-25-2003, 12:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Did you ask what stage of the rut the elk would be in??? Calling is one of the best ways to locate elk. Calling can be used to draw them to your location or just as a locator for a spot and stalk.

As far as trails, ime elk trails look like cattle paths, often beat down to bare dirt. It is always good to check water, streams, rivers, etc for tracks and trails leading to and from. Meadows or hay fields often provide the food source for elk and should always be considered. If you can find a major trail setting up along them can prove to be a good bet, but you may find once on a major trail a spider web effect to other trails may appear and in this case picking a spot may prove a tough task. Now having never hunted elk in Utah this may not be the case. In my area this is what happens 99% of the time once you head off into the timbers, I chose to either hunt the major trail or the source for which the elk are coming to (ie: food or water).

First find out if calling is an option, if so start scouting by bugling or cow calling. Scout thoroughly for food and water sources. Get up high and glass. Spot and stalking is another method that may be available depending on the terrain in the area. Talking with locals, businesses, etc is always a good bet, as is the CO' s. While not all the info is super useful it may help to narrow the scope a little.

Good luck and have fun!!
Old 09-25-2003, 07:14 AM

you can hunt the water in the early morning (set up before light) and evening - you can get a good sense in your scouting a day or two before - if there is good sign you can glass that area in the am and pm to see preferential paths - just be on the good side of the wind. The elk will usually bed during the day so they will likely not be too close the water. If it is warm they will be in dark spots during daylight hours - maybe browsing - but mostly rest.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:19 PM
Spike

Thanks guys, your knowlege and expertise has been very helpful. I will take your advise with me to utah.

I leave tomarrow and hope to be back by the 11( to watch the sooners whup up on the texas short horns) and i will post to tell the world how i done.

If i come back with an elk i will tell everyone you are very good hunters, but if i fail
in a way you all fail. ha ha just kidding. thanks for the advise and wish me luck.

I' ll sign off wishing everyone luck on their future hunting endevers and by saying GO SOONERS
Old 09-30-2003, 03:39 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry, I just read your thread for the first time. I live and hunt in Utah. I hunt the south slope up above vernal, I can tell you exactly where to look. I pulled a bull outta there last year and plan on doing the same this year. If your still around let me know where exactly you plan to hunt and I' ll give you some exact areas to check out. Of course I' m not going to give up my honey hole but there is plenty of territory for us both.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

My best advice is don' t take no Skaggs canned chili. I think its made of bean curds, red lard, an' spoilt duck meat. You know them high pressure spray guns they got for paintin' yer house? Well, you git the picture.