Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Musk Ox Hunt Booked

Old 04-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Musk Ox Hunt Booked

I just booked the hunt that will put me at 9 of the Super Ten. I was lucky enough to draw a Nunivak Island musk ox tag for the winter of 2014. I'll be hunting unguided but the only feasible way to hunt is to hire a transporter from the Yupik Eskimo village of Mekoryuk to the south end of Nunivak, via 50+ miles on a snowmachine. I booked with James Whitman for the first week of March. That hunt has about a 98% success rate...if you can make it to Nunivak. I'm planning on using my bow and I'm leaning towards a skull mount.

Here's a few pic ox pics...

A mature bull ox that I snapped some pics of on the North Slope of Alaska.

A dandy fall season Nunivak ox that one of my hunting buddies bagged year before last when he used James as his transporter.

The kind of skull mount I'm leaning towards, minus the gawdy base. It's a little presumptuous to plan the taxidermy before the hunt, but the odds are pretty dang good for this one. I'll probably tan the full hide and use it as a large rug. If you've never seen ox hair it is incredibly long and thick.
Attached Thumbnails Musk Ox Hunt Booked-north-slope-bull-ox.jpg   Musk Ox Hunt Booked-josh-nunivak-ox-fall.jpg   Musk Ox Hunt Booked-muskox-skull-mount-1.jpg  
Old 04-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Best of luck Jeff!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Watching the males butt heads is pretty entertaining... good luck on your hunt.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Psylocide
Watching the males butt heads is pretty entertaining... good luck on your hunt.
Yeah it is. I've seen some pretty good fights along the Sagavanirktok River in northern Alaska. The noise of the impact is incredible.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good Luck AKJ!!
Old 04-27-2013, 01:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good hunting bud! Many misfits, myself included, want to see pix of your big smile above a musk ox bigger than your dreams.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

AK Jeff, I hope you have a great hunt. I think Muskox are neat animals. I hunted them in northern Canada about 10 years ago. It was also a fall hunt combined with Caribou.

I figured that I would only hunt them once in my life, so I had mine mounted lifesize. It's one of my favorite mounts.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

Im pretty jealous, it runs a little above 10k for that hunt doesnt it?

Id go for full head mount on something like this, but thats just me im not into skull mount
Old 05-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Spike

Thats awesome. how much is that hunt going to cost including the transportation. I am wanting that to be my next guided hunt I do. Good luck
Old 05-02-2013, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by atjohnson1254
Thats awesome. how much is that hunt going to cost including the transportation. I am wanting that to be my next guided hunt I do. Good luck
It should run about $4,500 for airfare, transporter fee, Alaska resident musk ox tag, and excess baggage back to my home in Fairbanks. Guided hunts are substantially more expensive but I'm going unguided with a transporter. Not a cheap hunt but that's about the only way to cross it off the bucket list.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.