Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Texas free-range Aoudad hunt >

Texas free-range Aoudad hunt

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Texas free-range Aoudad hunt

Old 02-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Spike

Default Texas free-range Aoudad hunt

Hey everybody,
I want to share the story of our latest hunt.

We started hunting in the high country in the early morning. After hours of endless glassing and fighting the cold wind in the ranger we decided to go back to camp and plan a better strategy for the afternoon. After talking it over we decided to try a small canyon on the far side of the ranch where we haven't killed alot of sheep but where we've killed some BIG rams. We waited till almost 4 pm and crept along the ridge top glassing shaded bluffs where the big rams bed till late. Well after the third bluff we spotted 3 rams in the same bed where some of the ranches best sheep have been killed. The began to move out of their bed and up the next hill. We sprang into action making ground on the side of the ridge as to stay out of sight. When we reached our vantage point at the end of the ridge they were near the top and Mr. Jim had no rest to shoot 300 yards. As soon as they topped out we scurried up the Mountian as fast and quiet as possible with his wife following close behind. Just as we approached the top we stopped to breathe in order to be ready for the shot if it presented its self. Still worried about picking the biggest out of the group we made our way to the top. We began glassing the hills and creek beds around us, after no sign we made our way to the end of our ridge when we spotted the smallest ram only 160 yards away on our ridge! We froze and slowly set up the camera. We waited patiently to get our eyes on the other rams. Soon the biggest ram showed himself, after a wick glance I whispered to Jim " Shooter, Defiantly a Shooter!" He held steady waiting for a broadside shot. The ram slowly turned at 180 yards and the 300 win mag rang out! Thump ! He dropped in his tracks ! After pictures and congrats we realized the best part. The ram fell dead 10 yards from an old ridge road where we were able to get him out of the mountains with little effort! He measured 31.5" and a first day kill!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

They are a neat animal and one of these days I'm going to do a hunt out there!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great story. I would love to hunt free ranging Auodads some day. Is it private or public land that you hunt?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not much public land out there in Texas and he said they were on a ranch.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:07 PM
car
Typical Buck

Yes I would love to do this someday too.....soon!
Old 02-17-2013, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Not much public land out there in Texas and he said they were on a ranch.
No, there is not much. I've thought about Aoudad as well. Someday.

ATB
Old 02-17-2013, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is a nice pic of a very nice ram. Well done to the hunter! (and photographer)
Old 02-18-2013, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
I would love to hunt free ranging Auodads some day.
Native to northern Africa.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only question here is, how HIGH are the fences. I don't care what anyone does as long as it is legal. ...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 02-24-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
The only question here is, how HIGH are the fences. I don't care what anyone does as long as it is legal. ...Deleted by CalHunter...

I'll drink to that.

Last edited by CalHunter; 02-24-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.