Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Help!  Which Unit to Apply for in WY >

Help! Which Unit to Apply for in WY

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Help! Which Unit to Apply for in WY

Old 01-28-2013, 07:59 PM
Spike

Default Help! Which Unit to Apply for in WY

I am hoping for some advice. I have recently moved to Wyoming, and will be a resident later this year. But I have to apply for elk as a non-resident. The good news is I have 6 preference points. So I am looking for a unit I can draw (regular or special), for a rifle hunt that has good numbers of elk and public access. I want to DIY, and wilderness is out unless anyone knows of an outfitter that would customize a hunt in Area 61 or something. I would maybe pay a reasonable trespass fee. Not looking for the monster - in fact after 15 years out west I have yet to kill a bull. Came close a few times, but just couldn't close the deal.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

You should be in the running to draw a tag in the regular draw for unit 45 or definitely the special draw. It's on the west side of the BigHorns, has a good elk population and a good bull to cow ratio with bulls well into the 300s. Most of the unit is USFS in the higher elevation and/or BLM as you go lower to the west. There is some wilderness area up at the top, but it you qualify as a resident by the time elk season opens you would even be allowed to hunt that.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:24 PM
Spike

Hunted unit 7 last year and had a great time. Lots of bulls in the 300 range. We were chasing a 360" bull we saw on the archery hunt but could never quite make it happen. Passed on four bulls in the 260" - 300" range. Near Cow Creek. We helped a guy one canyon over from us haul out a great 330" bull.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:26 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Withabow
Hunted unit 7 last year and had a great time. Lots of bulls in the 300 range. We were chasing a 360" bull we saw on the archery hunt but could never quite make it happen. Passed on four bulls in the 260" - 300" range. Near Cow Creek. We helped a guy one canyon over from us haul out a great 330" bull.
How many pref points did it take to draw for unit 7?
Old 01-30-2013, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

"How many pref points did it take to draw for unit 7?"

The max of 6PPs last year only drew at a 74.63% rate in the regular PP draw. 6PPs drew 100% in the special PP draw and 5PPs only drew at 41.98%. If you don't have the max of 7PPs in this years draw it will be almost impossible to draw because more people will probably be cashing in their PPs this year before the license fees are raised for 2014.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 PM
Spike

Thanks for posting the stats. Good news on the price increases - the bill in the Wyoming Senate died in committee, 9-1. No increases for now.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

That Bill died, but there are two more working their way through the Legislature right now. One would raise the NRs fees only and another has both resident and NRs in it like the one that went down last week. It's looking like before all is said and done that there will be some significant price increases for 2014.