Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Field Pack

Old 12-28-2012, 01:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Field Pack

Hey Everyone,

New to the forum, looking to get into hunting of all kinds if possible! For big game where you cant simply drag out the kill like a duck or turkey, do you carry a small field pack to be able to dress or mark the place where you killed the animal? Ive heard of some people having to come back for the meat, only to find that they have no idea where they left it.

I was thinking when I go on my first hunt I would bring some kind of orange flag (construction type) to mark the location of the animal in case I have to come back to it. Along with a field knife and some food snacks, what else should go in the small pack? Or is it even necessary to carry one?
Old 12-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Spike

Carrying a pack is a good idea. you can keep calls, snacks, first aid, extra layers, extra knife/sharpener, pretty much whatever. Most importantly you can carry a deer drag and not have to worry about losing your deer.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, you should carry everything you need to dress out the animal with you. I skin, quarter, and sometimes bone it out at the kill spot. Put it in game bags, and hang it up in a tree. In the shade.

Marking the spot with tape is a good idea if you don't have a GPS to mark it. You can even use some tape to mark your tail back to the truck, but please take the tape down when you're done.

I hunt with a small backpack that has everything I need dress it out. Game bags, rope, knives, wipes, gloves, plastic bags, and a tarp. I'll also have my lunch, first aid kit, rain gear, and ammo.

I have just enough room left in the pack to bring out the tenderloins, and backstraps on the first trip. I go back to the Jeep, and get my frame pack, and get the rest. That may take 4 more trips.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:37 PM
Fork Horn

Awesome, thank guys. I also forgot that we have GPS units now, might be better than marking with a flag.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Let me state this first In some states you cannot quarter it up until you check in with it. In that case you will need to have a truck or 4 wheeler. Refernce your state biggame laws and regs.

Good Luck

Niccum
Old 12-30-2012, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BP_Niccum
Let me state this first In some states you cannot quarter it up until you check in with it. In that case you will need to have a truck or 4 wheeler. Refernce your state biggame laws and regs.

Good Luck

Niccum
Which states are those?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Yes, you should carry everything you need to dress out the animal with you. I skin, quarter, and sometimes bone it out at the kill spot. Put it in game bags, and hang it up in a tree. In the shade.

Marking the spot with tape is a good idea if you don't have a GPS to mark it. You can even use some tape to mark your tail back to the truck, but please take the tape down when you're done.

I hunt with a small backpack that has everything I need dress it out. Game bags, rope, knives, wipes, gloves, plastic bags, and a tarp. I'll also have my lunch, first aid kit, rain gear, and ammo.

I have just enough room left in the pack to bring out the tenderloins, and backstraps on the first trip. I go back to the Jeep, and get my frame pack, and get the rest. That may take 4 more trips.
+1

Additionally, a couple of forms of fire starter. A flash light (head lamp is best) with extra batteries will be appreciated the first time you have to walk out of some thick stuff in the dark. Carry water. A little dehydration will rob you of a lot of energy. You can go days without a snack (though low blood sugar will rob you of some energy too), but you need to keep your hydration up to keep the nervous system and muscles working well. A couple of candy bars in case you need to spend an unplanned night will be good for moral. Extra wool socks, gloves and a wool hat can make a big difference if you get wet or it turns cold on you. Even if you have a GPS, a few flags to help you find a carcass is wise. Equipment fails, batteries go dead...
Old 12-31-2012, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, I left out some stuff. Everything you mentioned I carry too, as should everybody.

I don't carry plain water anymore though. I buy a product made by Wilderness Athlete called Hydrate & Recover, and mix it with water. It works much better for me than plain water. Taste good too.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Typical Buck

I've heard good things about Wilderness Athlete. I expect their mix has electrolytes.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sure does.

http://wildernessathlete.com/hydrate-and-recover/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.