Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Elk hunting

Old 10-23-2012, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

I havent seen it. Most people will hike like that for one day maybe, then lose their drive. We are talking about the same people worried that a 30'06 if it weighs more then 6lbs, its too heavy,lol. Some will hike in further, but most dont have the stomach. SOme units are alot worse then others though. I would guess 54 has become like this, seeing all the restrictions on tags there the last few years.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:55 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Keep in mind when a tag is easy to get for you. It's easy to get for everybody. Expect huge crowds.

You couldn't pay me enough to hunt an OTC unit.
OTC units are fine if you put in the WORK ;o)
Attached Thumbnails Elk hunting-elk-1-2012.jpg  
Old 10-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you don't like hoards of hunters. It's not ok.

Getting an elk doesn't even come into it for me. I just don't like being surrounded by fools with guns.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Colorado OTC units can be crowded but IMO if you focus on the wilderness areas that don't allow motorized access and are willing to hike in you might be able to eliminate some of the crowding. My hunting partner and I both took bulls this year second rifle in an OTC unit. It was on semi private land and we did see quite a few other hunters but the hunting was good.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 10-30-2012 at 04:03 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

Another thing, turn the situation into an advantage. Crowded public land can be a good area to hunt, if you know how to hunt it. Let those fools keep the critters moving. Let them move the elk to you. Plenty of people get large bulls, and bucks this way.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by streetglideok
Another thing, turn the situation into an advantage. Crowded public land can be a good area to hunt, if you know how to hunt it. Let those fools keep the critters moving. Let them move the elk to you. Plenty of people get large bulls, and bucks this way.
Pretty good advice from someone who lives there. Knowing where pressured animals go to can be an advantage.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Colorado OTC units can be crowded but IMO if you focus on the wilderness areas that don't allow motorized access and are willing to hike in you might be able to eliminate some of the crowding. My hunting partner and I both took bulls this year second rifle in an OTC unit. It was on semi private land and we did see quite a few other hunters but the hunting was good.
Not trying to be a smart azz, just curious...what is "semi private" land?...thanks/bg
Old 11-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

This is the type of land I hunt, public land, we are the only camp on the road in. We rarely see anyone else except an occassinal road hunter! we have taken 4 elk, 2 bulls 2 cows in the last 6 years
Attached Thumbnails Elk hunting-2011-11-01_09-41-22_40.jpg   Elk hunting-2011-11-01_09-41-58_996.jpg   Elk hunting-2011-11-01_09-42-59_676.jpg  
Old 11-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by bmgillum
Not trying to be a smart azz, just curious...what is "semi private" land?...thanks/bg
My hunting partner owns some land on a large 17,000 acre ranch. The deal is if you don't post your land you can hunt on the rest of the ranch that isn't posted. Only owners and a limited number of guests can hunt. It can go between somewhat crowded to few other hunters. It all depends on the year. I think there are quite a few hunting places like that throughout the west. The area abuts another ranch that doesn't allow hunting as well as a large piece of federal land which gets some pressure. It is technically private land but does allow any of the hundreds of owners to hunt.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:45 AM
Spike

Default Elk Hunting

We have some good looking bulls in SE Montana. The tags are a little exspensive, but we have some acres that we allow hunters on for a small fee so you won't pay as much for an outfitter/guide. It's a self-guided hunt. If you would like more information feel free to shoot me an email.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.