Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Good luck to all elk hunters! >

Good luck to all elk hunters!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Good luck to all elk hunters!

Old 10-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Good luck to all elk hunters!

Good luck to all you elk hunters that will be going out elk hunting soon -- for example the Colorado first rifle season elk hunters. Get up early, shoot straight, and be safe!!!
Old 10-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks and right back at ya Alsatian. I head out on the second 2100 mile road trip of the year on the 13th to get there and scout for second rifle season Co. Our back country DIY bow hunt on the 4th week of archery was a bust with warm weather and all the elk pushed way too high and far back by the ML guys. Next bow trip will be either 1st or 2nd week of the archery. The locals said the valleys and hills were full just before that ML invasion and that was backed up by the sign.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wish I were going this fall, but I'm not. I have been going every other year, more or less, for a few years. I'll go again next year, and then my hope is to go out every year thereafter. I'm not a resident of Colorado. I hunt unit 75. The draw on that unit is typically a bit better than 50% for a non-resident without any preference points. I'm not sure what my plan will be years I don't draw -- maybe hunt the second rifle season, maybe not hunt but just tag along with my hunt partners during first rifle season (they are residents and I think draw every year they apply) and provide moral support and a strong back. I've taken a couple of elk in the past, so I think I could have just about as much fun just being in elk camp, sleeping in the big canvas wall tent, listening to the burning wood snap in the wood stove, and hiking along for the hunts as I would if I were carrying my own rifle.

Enjoy your hunt CI and good luck.

Last edited by Alsatian; 10-01-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

Heck we don't know if there will even be a season this year because of the fires here....................................
Old 10-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm three full months from using my elk license. But antelope is starting this coming weekend. Deer is first of December. Pheasants and coyotes fill in all the downtime
Old 10-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

It turns out I'm a week early on wishing the good luck all around for first season rifle elk season in Colorado. Got the season start date mixed up.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks,
Been waiting to go since the end of the season last year.Bow season is about over and rifle is getting ready to kick in.Have several options and places to hunt.Will bear hunt until elk and deer rifle start.
Thanks again Alsatian!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Spike

All the best elk hunters!!!
Elk hunting can be demanding! It can also be fun, not just hard work. With the right equipment and techniques, elk season can be less demanding and more successful. I've learnt from my hunting in Virginia experiences.

Best,
David
Old 10-12-2012, 06:11 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Alsatian
I wish I were going this fall, but I'm not. I have been going every other year, more or less, for a few years. I'll go again next year, and then my hope is to go out every year thereafter. I'm not a resident of Colorado. I hunt unit 75. The draw on that unit is typically a bit better than 50% for a non-resident without any preference points. I'm not sure what my plan will be years I don't draw -- maybe hunt the second rifle season, maybe not hunt but just tag along with my hunt partners during first rifle season (they are residents and I think draw every year they apply) and provide moral support and a strong back. I've taken a couple of elk in the past, so I think I could have just about as much fun just being in elk camp, sleeping in the big canvas wall tent, listening to the burning wood snap in the wood stove, and hiking along for the hunts as I would if I were carrying my own rifle.

Enjoy your hunt CI and good luck.
Where at in 75 do you usually go? I live in durango and will be hunting elk in 75 this year and deer in 74. Going to try up by lemon reservoir saturday and sunday, if i dont get one then ill move to a different spot.