Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Thoughts on outfitters

Old 09-13-2012, 06:23 AM
Spike

Default Thoughts on outfitters

I've been thinking of doing a mule deer hunt or a muley/elk combo hunt. I can't decide on whether or not to go with an outiffer or a DIY hunt. I've never hunted out west just midwest, upper midwest, and Canada.

The thing that bothers me about an outfitter and I'm sure this has happened to a lot of us is when one pays thousands of dollars only to come home w/o anything but you don't even see anything. Not all outfitters are this way but lets face it, there are some real shady ones out there that talk a good game but are only worried about collecting your money. To me if an outfitter doesn't do their job which is to do everything possible to give someone an opportunity to take a shot(if I miss it's my fault not theirs), then they should offer a refund minus the cost of lodging/meals.

I just don't see how people can take 4k or more for a hunt when lodging/meals might only be 500 of that, maybe 1k if it's a really nice place then keep 3k+ for 5 days of work and the hunter has nothing to show for it. That 3k is take home pay for a months worth of work for a lot of people which to me that means 3 weeks prior to me arriving that outfitter should be out there scouting 5 days a week every day for the 3 weeks then I arrive on the 4th week ready to hunt, now you've earned your 3k. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way, which is why I'm kicking around the DIY way. Just curious what others thoughts are when the outfitter doesn't deliver. And if anyone knows any reputable outfitters in CO or WY that I might want to consider. Thanks
Old 09-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

It is an investment and investment comes with risks. Seeing animals and getting a shot are never guaranteed for any of us. You need to research potential outfitters, talk to those who have hired them (including some who did not fill their tags) and get an idea of how hard the outfitters/guides work and how they treat their clients. People tend to underestimate the cost of a business. There is a lot of costs and overhead that many are not aware of. Equipment depreciates quickly and needs repairs and replacement, year round maintenance on stock is much more expensive then many think, employees need paid: all regardless of external factors such as a bad winter leading to a high mortality rate of animals, drought, etc...

If a guide gives a you guarantee of seeing animals, be a bit leery. If he guarantees a shot, thank him and move on. If he guarantees a book animal, laugh loudly into the phone before you hang up and move on. I've never used an outfitter, but have known many and several professional guides. Success in hunting relies on hard work, timing and skill, but in the end your still rolling the dice... whether DIY or with a professional.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless it's fenced in, you won't be guarenteed squat and if you are, you probalby should be running from that outfit as fast as possible.

It's fair chase land. that means nobody can predict where the animals are today, the outfitter can tell you where they usually are, but nobody knows where they will be. Sometimes bad luck just happens. Fishing story, (not hunting I know). Went cod fishing with 5 other people in a boat. The boat pulled in MANY fish. I caught nothing. I used every rod and bait combo, just for whatever reason, didn't catch one.

Hunting can be the same, every spot you go could be empty today, while some other guy could be stumbling onto animals at every turn.

You are rolling the dice, which is why paying an outfitter, for me at least, is so scary. Best you can hope for is a good, honest, hard working outfitter and guide.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

The most confusing thing for me was the private v. public property boundaries, since nothing is posted out West. I hired an outfitter for a deer/antelope combo and had game all over me. I was tagged out on day 3 of a 5 day hunt, and had a blast. That said, it's an expense I can't afford often, so I am headed back with BLM maps this fall. Bowsite.com can help with outfitter reviews. The biggest advantage I see to an outfitter is he lives there and can scout for game, plus he can haul the critter out for you.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:12 AM
Fork Horn

When you hire an outfitter, you are paying for his knowledge and expertise, and to do a lot of the homework for you before you show up, and maybe food & lodging.

There are bad apples in every business one can think of, I've hired lousy electricians, lawyers, and carpenters before. And I'm sure there are lousy guides as well, I've been lucky so far in that respect. With the internet available these days and forums like this, if an outfitter is a scammer, it won't be very long before word gets out & he/she is blackballed. Best thing to do is read reviews, check references, and pick the guides brain before you give a deposit. Anyone who brags too much or seems "too busy" to answer questions gets a red flag from me.

There are a lot of expenses that go on behind the scenes, I don't know any guides that are living the lifestyles of the rich & famous. My advice would be if paying an outfitter & the possibility of coming home empty-handed is a problem, go with DIY or get your meat at a high-fence ranch.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

it's nice to have someone cook for you etc...

it's nice to hunt quality private land.

it's nice to have someone show you the lay of the land that knows it well.

it's expensive, and the outfitters for the most part aren't getting rich in the process. Costs add up fast. horses, food, guides, etc...

positives/negatives, you'll have to weigh and see what you decide.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:17 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by blb078
which to me that means 3 weeks prior to me arriving that outfitter should be out there scouting 5 days a week every day for the 3 weeks then I arrive on the 4th week ready to hunt, now you've earned your 3k. Thanks
This is exactly what we do and what we believe in. Your exactly right though when you say this. A lot of outfitters don't pre scout. Therefore your basically on a paid scouting trip. We, at World Class Hunts, are working men and women just like you. We are not afraid to work hard for our money. We are more worried about your happiness and returning as a customer year after year, than we are about the sweat we'll shed getting out and working for you. When you arrive we will have the animals located and our tactics will be planned and ready for you to exicute your mission.

We've found that the number one concern of our costumers is the work we've put into the hunt. That's why weeks prior to your arrival we will be in the hunt area scouting. If the game isn't there, we find it! We spend as many days sleeping in the mountains as we do at our own homes throughout the year. Thats just what we do and what we love to do. This is also how we make our living. Unlike some outfitts though, we make our bottom line over many years. We don't want to "get rich quick" off you because eventually you'll run out of clients. We prefer you to enjoy every aspect of the hunt. If you do you'll likely spend your money with us again. Our bonus comes if you do come back, and happen to bring friends. Thanks for looking!
http://www.worldclasshunts.com

P.S. Our website isn't great. We are currently planninig an upgrade.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have clients that ask us the same questions, you'd be surprised what the cost of doing LEGITIMATE business is these days. Given the #s you posted (a 4k hunt), if you think the outfitter is taking home 3K, your #s are off. The outfitter (if legit) has license fees, time scounting to put you on game, insurance, equipment to maintain, lease or mortgage payments on the land you're hunting, etc. If you're that worried about it, you should do a DIY hunt, if you harvest something, great, if not, you'll realize that 4k would have been $ well spent.

Example, we quoted among other trees, removing a lg. Cherry tree in a guys back yard earlier this summer. He didn't want to pay $1,800 to have our CERTIFIED ARBORIST & experienced crew remove the tree over his deck, fence, neighbors landscape & patio so he tried it himself w/ his son. He climbed up a ladder, didn't cut a notch, just a back cut, & the top of the tree went the wrong way. It could have killed him or his son, thankfully it didn't. It only smashed the fence, ruined $600 worth of his neighbors plants & trees, also took out the grill, patio furniture, & sitting wall around the patio. Total cost $2,300 he said, plus he had to clean the crap up! Needless to say he paid us to come in & remove the other trees...
Old 09-22-2012, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just by reading your post you need to consider a DIY hunt.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't use an outfitter if they were free.

Hunting is not paying someone else to do it for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.