Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear size

Old 09-11-2003, 09:54 AM

Default Bear size

I just got off the phone with my mom and was she excited. A couple of days ago she found a bear track by one of her bird feeder and she measured it at 8 inches long. but didn' t think much of it she figured he must hav just been passing through. As I sit here typing this the bear is out side in the yard tearing up her bird feeders again. I was wondering if anyone here could give me a guestamation of how much this bear might weigh by the size of his foot. Thanks. Oh yea he is a black bear.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:31 PM

Default RE: Bear size

Front or rear paw? If its' a front, WOOOO! Don' t leave the cat out!
Old 09-11-2003, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

I don' t know about a front paw but if thats a rear paw you' ve got a 250-300 lbs bear on your hands!
Old 09-11-2003, 10:38 PM
Typical Buck

well a black bears paws measure 4 1/2" by 4" with the toes arced in relation to the pad and are clearly separated

and grizzlies paws measure 5 1/2" by 5 1/4" and the toes are aranged in a nearly straight line and are bunched

and an alaskan brown bear measures 7" by 8" , they can get up to 13' tall and weigh as much as 1,600 lbs. ,
check the toe configuration , it doesn' t by the paw size sound like a black bear , could there have been more than one ????

Old 09-12-2003, 10:08 AM

It' s a black bear. the others are not indiginous to my area of the world. I hope that he is still around come the season. I am going to take leave from the Navy and head home to Pa for Bear and Deer season this year. Does anyone have a bullet recomondation for 308 win for Bear. I currently have 165gr bthp serrias loaded up but I am thinking that I might want to step up to something that will penetrate a tad bit better. Any help will greatly be apprieciated. When my mom gets the pics developed and if my scanner will work right i will post some pics.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

165 gr. from your .308 will crue him of further bird feeder raids.Best of luck to you on your upcoming hunt.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:54 PM

whelen - where did you get those measurement guidelines? They seem a little off to me. I know for a fact I have seen 8" and longer bear tracks before, and around here the only bear are blacks.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

split-hoof ,
i got those measurements from " outdoor life' s , survive " , " the ultimate guide to wilderness skills " . it was shipped with the regular issue as quote " a supplement to outdoor life " end quote . the measurements are on page 40 , under the heading " tracks and territory " , " know what to look for when you' re in bear country " . the article was written by a guy named ( RICHARD P. SMITH )

that' s where i got them from my friend , it was very informative with articles covering several different subjects , " lost " , " exposed " , " attacked " , " injured " . with four stories on each of the above subjects told after each subject was discussed
Old 09-13-2003, 08:59 PM

I just finished reloading. I am working up a load for my 308 and 3006 for this hunt. I am using a Nosler Particion 165 havent decideden on the powder yet what ever shoots best outa my rifle Is this too much bullet?
Old 09-14-2003, 02:50 AM

That' s interesting whelen, the width seems close but I have seen wider and much longer bear tracks. I assume that must be an average figure. With the majority of bears being younger ones, I guess that brings down the average a bit. If I were to go strictly by that though, then I would think there were grizzlies roaming the woods!

Quick Reply: Bear size

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.