Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
hunting pigs/dogs/ donkeys in aus >

hunting pigs/dogs/ donkeys in aus

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

hunting pigs/dogs/ donkeys in aus

Old 09-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Spike

Default hunting pigs/dogs/ donkeys in aus

Firstly this is my second post so if its in the wrong spot please move it.

Hi all, well my wife and kids and a few mates here do a lot of hunting together. here is a recent trip, we spent most of the trip showing the kids around but we got a few days hunting in.

Mike and jack (two mates) had organized there holidays for this and just before we were started packing my wife decided she would bring the kids out as well so rather than doing a few weeks of hunting we did a bit of touring through *western qld, *south aus, and up through Birdsville and the simpson desert then shell (my wifw) drove home.

quinn ( my main pig dog) is keen as ever.........................the best pig dog in the history of the sport

I didn’t want shell to drive home from Birdsville by herself with the kids so i got Kahlee one of my workers to come on the trip.................which worked out well cause she was good *as a camp bitch and also doubled as mikes wife..................and jack wished she would triple as his as well................but thats another story.

mike rareing to go

I took wally and quinn my main pig dog and the first day we just drove to ronnies. Next day we were off to the first station about 6 hours further on where i used to do a lot of roo shooting as my boxes were based there. We run onto a mob of about 45 pigs on the side of the road and quin flew out the window and grabbed a good boar..............this was his third *for the trip as he picked off 3 on various stages of the trip when we stopped for a piss...............you let him out and if pigs are within 500 yards...............there his.

first nights camp out near the sa border

We set up camp and mike and i used the last 40 minutes of light to have a quick hunt. I rolled a good dog, then we came back to camp for a quick feed. As we headed out again mike rolled another dog..which had a crow in its mouth so that was cool. *The next day we got 4 more dogs and then a couple more pigs as well. *I also lined up a mate to take everyone for a ride in the chopper they use to muster the cattle with............some of the paddocks alone are 600,000 acres out here.

The next day we headed over to another property about 3 hours away. We showed the kids the burke and wills sights like the dig tree and graves etc then headed to a different part of the river to set up camp and have a quick hunt as this property i shot roos on as well. *Well another 2 hours of hunting before last night and just into the night and 7 more dogs down.................there is a few out there, then off to bed for a 5 hour drive the next day which included going to haddons corner

We got to the next property to hunt on and set up camp then mike myself and quinn headed off for a look at some pigs and dogs. *quinn grabbed a solid sow then mike shot one and i got one as well, on the way back we had a dog run past at speed but we couldn’t get a shot on it. *The next day we had a morning hunt where i hit another dog then mike and i explored some incredible sand dune country with some awesome watehole and lignum country and tyler decided to climb one of the sand dunes.

the view from the top

this is what my place i grew up on looks like most of the time

After lunch tyler and i met jack on the quad at the front of the betoota hotel. Jack had been at ronnies and shot a few pigs and then drove up later on. *I took shell Kahlee and the kids and quinn for a run and mike and jack took the quad for an afternoon hunt.

tyler and i waiting for jack

They must of not hunted but spooned as we got 5 pigs and the boys just had grins on there faces. *Next day more pigs went down with mike having a very close encounter but he can tell you about that.
Next day was a day in Birdsville and the big red sand dune................the kids love sand dunes.............i love beer so we had one at the pub and then headed back to betoota to the property.

Next morning jack and mike went for a hunt and got some more pigs.................they can fill you in about that and i drove about 80km with shell Kahlee and the kids towards Windorah where i left them continue *and met jack and mike back on the arrabury road turn off.

About 80k up the road jack rolled a dog where the 2 properties we hunt on meet then about 60km further on mike rolled another. We setup camp back on our cooper creek spot and then the next day we were off to hit some donkeys..............well we got 20 but could of shot double that................i think mike and jack have a new passion because id pre warned them that these bastards can wear a solid hit *but with some good bullet placement we had no issues with the 7x64, 270wby and 6.5x55.

We had a very quick scout for some camels but never found any and then the next day headed back over towards the first property we stayed on after we left rons. We were to spend about 4 days of solid pig and dog hunting here and each day we got dogs and pigs but it was much quiter though as a terribly gusty and cold wind blew up every day which sucked big time. *We did run onto a mob of pigs of about a hundred(quinn got 2) we did still shoot more dogs and quinn even got to show his ridiculously good nose off to a few tourists who wanted to see a pig dog work. *He didn’t disappoint with a cracking boar which bashed him around a bit, but he is tough and held on till i could knife him.
After a few good days at the pub which is in the property we headed back to rons where quinn got 2 more pigs and jack a few more as well and then back home to brassy as i thought i might have been called to west aus for work.

A few things about the trip....................the company was great, it was great to show a few guys around properties with millions of acres as i grew up on these and till you actually drive on them they are hard to describe. It was great the missus and kids come as the kids love dogging pigs and shooting. Im glad i got to show mike and jack that all the talk of the amount of pigs ive told them are out there they have seen first hand. *
All in all it was awesome, and ill be doing it again i think in October so may have a spare seat then if anyone is keen.

a couple of very shady characters..................one even has some weight saving tips when it come to rifles.................make sure you ask him about it...........he forgot the bolt on a rifle

Old 09-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Spike

Looks like a great trip

Reconise the ATV too
Old 09-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Spike

Yeah mate. She is a great quad bike.