Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Opinions on Berger VLD Hunting bullets >

Opinions on Berger VLD Hunting bullets

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Opinions on Berger VLD Hunting bullets

Old 08-26-2012, 07:26 AM
Spike

Default Opinions on Berger VLD Hunting bullets

I am going Elk hunting in Colorado this November.I am planning to use 168 grain Berger VLD Hunting bullets. I have read mixed reviews about their performance on close up shots. Does anyone have experience with these bullets they would like to share? Currently, I am trying out 3 powders: H1000, IMR 4350, and Reloader 22. A muzzle velocity of 2900 to 3000 fps is what I had in mind.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

Hmm, post #1, Colorado elk hunt coming up, and a lite weight bullet for a heavy ungulate.

Anyway, I use 200 grain Remington A-Frame premier ammo.

If your gun can't handle it maybe you need a bigger gun.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

I don't know about that particular bullet, but if reviews are mixed (by those who've used it) then you might consider something else.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't know what caliber you're using, but I would get some 180 Hornady Interbonds to go with that IMR 4350 and I think you'll find they will shoot well and they are the ticket for me in my 30-06s on elk in Wyoming.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would use a bullet that has more integrity. Good luck
Old 08-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Spike

@ Top Gun, I am using a 7 mm Rem Mag. Thanks for the feedback everybody. If anyone else wants to share their insight, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:53 AM
Fork Horn

All the complaints I have heard about the Berger VLDs has to do with it destroying meat but is very effective in putting down animals...an elk has an awful lot of meat...the one and only elk I shot was with a Weatherby 270 Mag with a 150 gr Ballistic Tip and it went down just fine...

Cheers/bg
Old 09-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Spike

Ive killed 5 elk with 168 Berger VLd in 7mm at ranges from 175 yds to 650 yds. All with the same results..... one shot and down. Ive killed antelope, whitetail, mulies and several bears with the same results. I wont use another bullet if there is a Berger available in the caliber I am shooting. They are also the most accurate bullet I have ever shot.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Spike

Berks I'm with you on this one. By far the best bullet on the market today. I have tested them EXTENSIVELY always with the same results. One shot kills on EVERY occasion. Those complaining about their performance or damaging of meet, are simple using the "performance issues" as an excuse for their poor shooting skills. These people most likely hit the animal in a spot that wouldn't have put it down with any caliber or any bullet.

I've killed and have watched many elk killed with 140gr Berger VLD's. So yes, your 7mm shooting 168gr Berger at 3000Fps is plenty adequate. Good choice in caliber and bullet for your elk hunt. Post pics of your 1shot kill on a big bull elk.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Spike

Part of the VLD design is to delay the bullet expanding which may be why they ruin alot of meat but at the same time that is good for penetrating tough big game. I guess it's a bit of a trade off but no one really argues about the end result of a dead critter. Their target bullets on the other hand I haven't heard a bad word about.