Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Utah Wasatch elk

Old 08-17-2012, 04:23 AM
Spike

Default Utah Wasatch elk

Well after ten years I drew the LE tag for any weapon--3rd week of Sept. Will have an outfitter. Have been reading etc. and it seems that the kill rate is very high (80%) and bulls on average can be around 320. The outfitter says he would kill a 320 if he saw it opening morning. They always want to finish early! What do you guys think? What should I expect? What are your experiences here? I am not sure I want to shoot a 320 on opening AM. Hoping to kill my biggest bull and a 320 will do it but this is Utah. Thanks for your comments.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

depends how long it took you to draw...

this could be a rough year with the drought, so a 320 might be big this year? I'd ask the outfitter how he feels about this drought and antler growth?

If 320 beats your best elk that was 315 I think I'd want to hold out for more... but if you've never shot an elk or your best is 250 or something I'd probably take it.

If you want 350+ or nothing, tell your outfitter! but be prepared to be skunked...

you do hear stories of guys passing 320 day 1 then hoping for a 350, and end up skunked or shooting a 290 on the last day...
Old 08-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Spike

Default Wasatch Elk

I live in the Wasatch unit and have hunted it several times for deer but have never drawn that elk tag. A few years ago I would have told you to hold out at least a few days for a 350" bull but they've doubled the number of tags over the past five years. I still think you can do a little better a than 320" if you hunt hard. If your guide has horses I'd go into the top of American Fork Canyon or maybe up Hobble Creek. It's a huge unit and you'll see a ton of elk.