Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

wyoming region R

Old 08-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Spike

Default wyoming region R

Has anyome ever hunted wyoming region r before? Me and a friend drew tags this year and im looking for any info on the region.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

-Thanks
Old 08-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Go up into the east half of units 50 and 53 and hunt hard and the later in the season you can go/stay the better if you're looking for good bucks.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Spike

I have never hunted it but this is what I have been told and have concluded without actually hunting it...50 opens mid Oct and 53 opens later...if snow comes the deer should move down to the lower elevations (like 51 and 52, they have plenty of BLM land to hunt I think), so keep a back up plan for that. The foot hills should be good if snow pushes them down.

We are going to try unit Y area 25 in 2013 hopefully, anyone ever hunted this?
Old 08-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

25 is known mostly for elk hunting up in the NF, rather than mulies. The southern end of Y is the better mulie hunting on public lands. Unless you can get on a ranch up in unit 24 to the east of the NF, I wouldn't be going to the north end of Y on a deer hunt. I've known several guys that went up there in the last two years and they saw very few deer and said the hunting was tough and wished they had been elk hunting instead.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 08-07-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Spike

Thanks for the insight into 25...I thought about putting in for a cow tag for 37, they might work out a little better I guess. We have been looking into Region F areas 105 and 106 too, region Y area 25 only because it was in the Big Horns and we really wanted to hunt them, but I am starting to find out they dont hold many deer. I was told not to waste a point on R, but who knows??? Im just ready to get out there and hunt.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Region R is down quite a bit just like a lot of areas and you need to be able to find the pockets that still hold a decent number of deer. That is very hard to do on just one short hunting trip and you might luck into one of those areas and do well. Then again you might hunt for a week and not see a total of 10 deer.