Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Guide or DIY for elk?

Old 07-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Spike

Default Guide or DIY for elk?

since im planning on my first elk hunt i have ask what would be the better of the 2 choices.
would it be better to hire a guide or just go it ourselves.
also who are some decent outfitters in sw co to look into?
Old 07-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you can afford it, I think going on an outfitted/guided hunt would be a good idea. I have heard that "Over the Hill Outfitters" are a good outfitter.

Elk hunting is complicated. You need to know where the elk will be and when they will be there. For example, in first rifle season elk will be up high, between 10,000 feet and treeline, maybe between 11,000 feet and treeline. Later in year, the elk will be lower. Also, it isn't just about the elk hunting, it is about setting up a camp and getting enough rest overnight to recover from day-to-day. If you go with an outfitter, much of these problems are resolved for you. You should make up your own mind about what your hunting goal is. Any legal bull? A cow? I know people are likely to sneer at using an outfitter and shooting a cow elk, but why is that ridiculous? If you did a DIY hunt, taking a cow wouldn't be ridiculous. If you go with an outfitter, one of the things your are paying for is the comfort of letting them do the work of setting up camp, making food, packing out the game. Also, you are paying them to find the elk.

DIY elk hunting is very rewarding, don't get me wrong. But there are so many things to learn that maybe it is most smart to do your first trip outfitted before trying to do a DIY hunt. After you have learned a bit about elk hunting, then maybe you can try to attach yourself to another group that goes elk hunting and share their camp.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do you live in SW CO?

1 big perk to outfitters is private land that is managed for trophies.

if this was an outfitted public land CO hunt I think I would choose another state! NM/WY, etc..
Old 07-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Spike

no i do not live in SW Colorado but i have heard it has good elk numbers.
As far a cow/legal or trophy bull goes i don't really care, yes shooting a wall hanger is always nice but i hunt for the enjoyment of hunting and a good time.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Stormay05
i hunt for the enjoyment of hunting and a good time.
In that case. DIY will be more rewarding.

I've never had to use an outfitter. I've never figured out how someone else showing you where the elk are on private land will teach you anything?

Finding the elk is just another part of hunting. If someone does that for you. All you're doing is shooting.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Spike

Thanks for the advice muley, i have been leaning towards DIY but since its my first time the thought of hiring a guide stays around since i have no first hand experience with Elk
Old 07-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am of the opinion that a DIY cow elk hunt is a great introduction to elk hunting - and elk country. Cow tags are fairly easy to draw without using your preference points, and much less expensive than a bull tag. DIY bull hunting might be a tough task for a first time elk hunter. Cows are usually easier to hunt - but only for the reason that there are more of them, and they taste great.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Stormay05
Thanks for the advice muley, i have been leaning towards DIY but since its my first time the thought of hiring a guide stays around since i have no first hand experience with Elk
Tons of web sites will give you lots of tips on how to hunt elk. (not forums) Plus some good books will be helpful too.

It's a learning process. We all had to go through it. Trust me though. Doing it yourself is the way to go. Just have a good attitude, and enjoy the whole experience. It's a lot of work, but it's so so rewarding when you finally have the elk on the ground, and you know you did it yourself.

Will you get an elk the first year? Probably not, but you'll be in good company. Colorado has about a 25% success rate, and this is from very experienced hunters.

You never know though. You could be in that 25%.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Spike

I am doing the same thing this October stormy. My first ever elk hunt and doing it without a guide. I am biting the bullet and going to try a OTC bull. It should be fun and educational if nothing else. LOL
Old 07-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

As others have already mentioned, DIY is far more rewarding - and challenging. You are going to have to work harder to learn the country, get into the elk, and get the elk out should you connect. And you're going to take something away from the experience besides an elk.

On the other hand, it's just a matter of money to pay someone else to do the hunting for you so that you only have to do the shooting. If you're going to do that and take anything away from it, go somewhere hard - private ranches are for TV hunting show hosts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.