Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
If you could Mule deer hunt anywhere...? >

If you could Mule deer hunt anywhere...?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

If you could Mule deer hunt anywhere...?

Old 06-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default If you could Mule deer hunt anywhere...?

Where would it be?

Assume you have 6 pts in every state.

Open to buying a landowner tag.

Even open to a guided hunt.

Bow or Rifle is an option.

The goal is a trophy mulie, 4x4 170"+, but of course bigger the better.

My short list of states, or long list,
would be, NM, CO, WY, MT, ID, NV,

I don't think 6pts in AZ would do much for getting a strip or kaibab tag, and not sure I want to hunt that badly in this type of area yet, ie...low density of deer.

UT is a big maybe, but would prefer one of the other states.

buying a landowner tag while continuing to build pts in CO sounds like perhaps the best option, but I'm open to other ideas and not too knowledgeable on mulies in the west, so certainly open to any incite.

I may be able to gain private land access in southeast MT near Ekalaka, MT and hunt mulies for free, but it sounds like 160" 4x4 might be expecting a lot at this locale.

Thanks in advance.

Update:
Eastern CO sounds interesting.
Any suggestions for gaining private land access here without an outfitter? outfitter suggestions?
Part of me would want the classic mountainous mule deer hunt, but part of me thinks a big mulie is a big mulie, also the flat land sounds more low altitude hunter friendly.
Is there any public land out east?

Last edited by salukipv1; 07-02-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

KITTITAS COUNTY, Washington State!! the biguns are here just gotta find them 3point minimun on one side here.... but then again I'm a meat hunter, so I ain't lookin fer no big rack.....that's secondary, fillin the freezer is primary!!!!!
Old 06-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

wow this thread is burnin up! haha.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Spike

Default Mule deer

I had a great time in Colorado unit 70 3rd rifle last year. It's the start of the rut. No monsters, but four of as all took 150"-175" bucks. Not too difficult physically. We stayed mostly between Basin and Lone Cone. Took us five points to draw.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Spike

Anderson County in Tennessee, Me and my husband always hunt in different states and county, if you are looking for more, you can take a look at myhuntinglands.com/maps for more hunting maps
Old 07-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Still Colorado.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Spike

The only thing I want to add is that the biggest mule deer I have every seen in my 30 years of hunting were in eastern Colorado. A couple of different spots I have seen huge mule deer, but near Kiowa I saw one that had to have a least a 36" spread.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

6pts can get you into some prime areas of WY...
Old 07-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

No doubt, central Montana. Lots of mulies and lots of areas to hunt.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by emilyblack06
Anderson County in Tennessee, Me and my husband always hunt in different states and county, if you are looking for more, you can take a look at myhuntinglands.com/maps for more hunting maps
He doesn't want a Whitetail.... Although I like hunting TN whitetails more than anything lol. Huge bucks are kind of hard to find for us in TN anyway. We do have them, they are just a bit less common than in some of the trophy states like KS, IA, MO, KY, IL, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.