Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Hunters, what is the longest shot you have ever taken? >

Hunters, what is the longest shot you have ever taken?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunters, what is the longest shot you have ever taken?

Old 08-31-2003, 12:28 PM

Default Hunters, what is the longest shot you have ever taken?

Hunters, what is the longest shot you have taken with your bow or rifle? I have talked to several hunters and I have heard of some long distant shots of over 500 yards, what is your thought on this? What is a good distance and what is too far?

Dr. Mike
Old 08-31-2003, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunters, what is the longest shot you have ever taken?

The farthest that you should ever shoot at a game animal is as far as you have regularly practised on targets.My longest kill was 480 yards on a pronghorn last year.I regularly practise out to 500 yards at my local range so that is the farthest that I would ever shoot at a game animal.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:39 AM

I once slugged a boar at 20 feet with my 12 guage. That' s my longest shot with that gun.

I also shot another boar at 30 feet with an illigal sawed off 20 gauge pump. First shot was a slug to both lungs and I followed it up with a buckshot and then it dropped. Second shot was about 10 yards too.

Those are my longest gun shots in my short gun hunting carrer.
With my bow, most of my shots are 8 to 15 yards. I took one at a boar one time that was 34 yards. I think that' s my longest. I hit em right in the " v" with my 45 pound compound. He went 30 yards. Also took a long shot at a feral goat, which are popular to hunt here, I guess it wasn' t that far. I think it was about 30 yards, or at least that was the pin I used. Was a little downhill too. I hit her in the guts and she bedded down on a shear rock cliff so I had to hit her in the head from above with a rock to get her to move out of the cave she was trying to hide in. I think I hit her pretty good with the rock tho and finished her off with my knife[] She was about 50 pounds. So that long shot never worked out to great.

I' m not a long distance shooter. I' ve taken over 100 animals in my 3 years and probably 90% were under 20 yards. Only 3 vor 4 were 30 yards or slightly more. Even with the guns, I still stalk to and shoot from bow distances. Only three animals tho so far with gun. the other was a deep country goat and pig hunt and I shot a billy goat in the head with a 12 gauge slug at about 10 feet.[:-]

Old 09-01-2003, 12:06 PM

20 yds with bow

rifle kills at 330 350 380 410 and 455

miss at 710 at a small doe on a bet on the last day of the season It was windy and I shot over her Classic mistake

all kills were with my 300 Jarrett what i beleive to be the finest rifle made!

thanks
Old 09-01-2003, 07:03 PM
car
Typical Buck

I shot a groundhog at 550 yards with a 222 hand load with a 53 gr match point
Old 09-01-2003, 09:11 PM

250 is approximately my longest, all though I' ve missed a few around 275 to 300, wind and on the dead run plus a loose " nut" pulling the trigger did' nt help[]
Old 09-01-2003, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 200 yrd. running shot on a cow elk. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:26 AM

In 1988 I got a nice 4x5 bull at 600+(rifle). It was a youthful, desperate shot. I don' t recommend EVER shooting at that distance, but it payed off.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

My longest shot was on a antelope buck 436 yds,w/25-06 117gr Hornady ammo.The shot was of prue luck I had missed him at 200 and he was running.He stoped to look back and I took him,prue luck!

All of my other big game shots have been under 250 yds,maybe 300.I usaly hunt in close quaters an shots are short.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:23 PM

420 yds +/- on an elk with a 7MM Rem Mag. 170 gr TB. Though most have been within 150. I' ll tell ' ya though, It was dead calm, I wasn' t huffing and puffing from a climb and had a tree for a rest. I would never attempt a shot that long again if I was even slightly winded, had to take the shot standing off-hand, or shooting through a stiff cross-wind.

Quick Reply: Hunters, what is the longest shot you have ever taken?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.