Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Need help choosing caliber >

Need help choosing caliber

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need help choosing caliber

Old 12-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Arch Stanton
I actually own a Remington Model 7 XCR (22 inch barrel) in 300 WSM...I have only shot max 125 yards and consistently can shoot one inch groups at 100 yards...using Federal 180 Trophy Bonded Tip. I use it for deer and bear in NY. This year I switched to 165 Noslers but emergency heart surgery in Sept put the kabosh on my season...

Do I have the right set up to tackle elk, moose, and caribou in the future???

You already have a gun that will easily take any and all North American game. What you may "play" with is selecting 2 or 3 bullets to match the game you are hunting. For instance; for small game like deer, lopes, even black bear . . . 150 - 165 gr bullet that open quick on thin skinned animals.
Then maybe go to 180 - 200 gr for elk, mooose, brown/grix bear.
As I see it, you already have the gun, what you need is to fine tune the bullet/ammo to use.
Again, make sure you can shoot it confidently without flinching, and here's the most important thing . . . practice, practice, practice! I mean out to 400 + yards. You may never want or have to take that shot, but at least you would have the confidence in taking it ethically and it's fun!!

Last edited by dig4gold; 12-12-2011 at 09:43 AM.