Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

auadad

Old 11-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default auadad

I was thinking of going on a auadad hunt. Does anyone have any experience as to hunting them. What caliber weapon did you use? I plan to spot and stalk. If we go we will be going to west Texas. its a do it yourself hunt and want to make sure we are prepared. I have seen a few mounted and they look cool but are they good to eat aswell. Thanks,
Old 11-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are big tough animals so you want something with plenty of punch. Also you'll need to be prepared for some decently long range shots so a flat shooter would be a big plus. Anything that you would shoot an elk or mule deer with would probably be fine.

Lots of miles and open country so having great optics and being in good shape is also really important.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

Where about's in West Texas do you plan to hunt? And what time of year? Unless you have property be prepared to fork out a lot of money even for a do it yourself hunt. I live down here and you better be prepared for some rough country and lots of stuff that either pokes or bites. Every bush has thorns, and every critter has teeth. And do not plan on not seeing snakes even in the winter we have killed more than a few snakes in January after an unusually hot week so they do occasionally come out. Also if you are coming in hot weather (which is year round LOL) be sure to drink tons of water, nothing like getting heat stroke on the side of a mountain. And as mentioned above good optics will be required, and be prepared to shoot 300+ yards and I highly recommend that you bring something with a fair amount of power a good ram is bigger than a lot of people realize. So I would bring .308 and above the 30-06 family would work fine or a 300 win mag if you have one. If I remember right there vitals sit differently than on a deer might check that out but I could be wrong.
If you plan on buying a hunt you should capitalize on the multiple species that are abundant here. You might try to get an outfitter that will let you hunt varmints, javelinas, and maybe even a desert mule deer along with your aoudad.
Have fun if you get to go you will have a blast, I have been wanting to go for awhile now but the funds haven't shown themselves yet haha. I wish you the best of luck with your endeavor.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advise. I do plan on using my 280. I'm sure it will get the job if I do mine, aim and squeeze. I do plan on the javelinas aswell. I am trying to go Jan or Feb so I was hoping it would be a little cooler. I will remember the thorns, teeth, and snake advise for sure. Like I said I was hoping the snakes would gone for the winter. My buddy hooked me up with a land owner in Shafter, TX. He went there and had a great time.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

Awesome I hope you have a good time and post some pics when you get back, and good luck I hope you get one. Oh and I forgot to mention look out for the illegals being that close to the border(and I am being dead serious).
Old 11-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 300wm with a 165-180 gr would be a good setup for aoudad.