Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
View Poll Results: Best State(s)
Alaska
41.67%
Washington
0%
Oregon
0%
Nevada
8.33%
Utah
8.33%
Colorado
41.67%
Wyoming
25.00%
Montana
33.33%
Idaho
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Best State

Old 10-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Default Best State

I'm starting to look at graduate schools and states to live in. I'm not going to fully base my decision on the hunting availability, but it certainly plays a role. So, in your opinion, which state offers the best RESIDENT hunting for big game, and why? I will change my residency wherever I end up. I'm interested in everything I can possibly hunt and the best all around state. Thanks!
-Jake
Old 10-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

You left out Arizona, and New Mexico... both tremendous hunting states.

Don't be surprised if you end up in another state after grad school... but you can try to plan it ahead of time...

So many great hunting states, good economies etc...

I'd say all residents benefit vs non-residents.

You also left out California.

Some states have quite a difference in population btw... something to consider.

good luck.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Ya I left the southern states and Cali out on purpose. I've been through them and didn't really like them. So far my preference would be Wyoming and Montana. Have not been to Alaska yet, but that's on the schedule this summer.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Spike

I'll be interested to see what kinds of responses you get here. I think most people are not anxious to see more hunters move into their state. Can I vote for every state except where I live? I have a friend who lives in South Dakota and he loves the hunting there.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I'm starting to look at graduate schools and states to live in. I'm not going to fully base my decision on the hunting availability, but it certainly plays a role.
What program are you looking for?

Depending, it may make more sense to get into your field and gain some practical experience first, before you marry yourself to a stack of student loan promissory notes?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Unless you're independently wealthy I'd scratch Alaska off your list. Hunting Alaska, even for residents, is generally very expensive and most grad students don't have a lot of spare cash. Of course you could road hunt around Anchorage or Fairbanks, but your chances of success are minimal. Your best bet is to focus entirely on what school can lead you to getting an ideal job so you can either live long term in a good state, or afford to go hunting in good states when you have a solid career.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AK Jeff
Your best bet is to focus entirely on what school can lead you to getting an ideal job so you can either live long term in a good state, or afford to go hunting in good states when you have a solid career.
Very sound advice IMO.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on what kind of work is around as well. I love Wyoming. I grew up here and moved back because I missed the mountains and elk hunting. There are all kinds of things to hunt here. Mule deer, Whitetail, Antelope Elk, Moose, Big Horn Sheep, Mt. Goat, Black Bear, upland birds, waterfowl, predators and such. Some tags are very hard to get even for residents (moose, big horn sheep). There are very good stable jobs/economies here due to the mining industry and all the support contractors. Lots of jobs and good paying as well. Where else can you go with out any education and make $24 - $30/hour to drive a truck or equipment.

The biggest thing that makes a difference to me is public land. So much of it around here and great opportunities for the hunter that can't afford to pay for guided/access hunts on private land.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Wheatley,

I've looked pretty extensively at Wyoming. I've also spent some time there hiking and backpacking. It's a pretty state. And, I've read elsewhere that the mines are booming right now. I forgot where I was but I drove past a mine that seemed to go on forever. It was very impressive compared to the mines we have here in the East.
Good public land access is a good plus for wyoming.
AK Jeff and Jerry D, the focus is on school. But there's nothing wrong with enjoying the outdoors along the way. My undergrad career has been filled with great backpacking, hiking, and camping trips. I've spent several summer working at camps out west and have grown to love the Mountain states. I just haven't been able to work any hunts in, other than what I have here in Ohio and Pennsylvania due to always being in school during the fall. If I was closer to the big game states, hunts would be more do-able.
-Jake