Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Are we shooting ourselves in the foot with hunter safety course? >

Are we shooting ourselves in the foot with hunter safety course?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Are we shooting ourselves in the foot with hunter safety course?

Old 10-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I see no problem with requiring even 1st time adult hunters to pass a hunter safety course.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Terasec
Just because one is a hunter doesn't make them a safe, ethical legal hunter.
Most of the poaching and game law violators are rarely new hunters, but usually seasoned hunters.

That statement right there emphasizes the point that hunter safety is not a full proof method for ensuring all hunters are safe. Statistically, "mentors" would mirror the quality of hunters being produced from the course, not alter it. Again, you can't fix stupid, so some will slip by just like they do already.

I don't see how it would be any less safe, it's not a shortcut at all. It still would require them to take the course. People can drive with a learners permit right? How would this be any diferent? I spend a tremendous amount of time in the woods……I’m not suicidal, I don’t want to get shot just like the next guy. Iim just thinking a 30, 40, 50 year old on average, is on a little different intellectual playing field then a 12 year old. Not all people are gung-ho from the start, they want to test drive before they buy is all. I still think it’s a legitimate, safe and realistic approach to introduce more to the sport .
Old 10-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wasn't aware we needed more to the sport. Ever try to get an elk tag in a good unit in Colorado?
Old 10-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Muley, for the future of hunting you need more. I am 21 years old, pretty young compared to most hunters around here. Most of the people my age have either never hunted, or went a few times as kids, but don't anymore. To keep hunting alive, we need more hunters. That includes adults who are interested in trying.
-Jake
Old 10-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Last time I saw a figure on how many muzzleloader hunters we have. It was close to 4 million. Seems pretty high, but what do we have for CF and archers all together?

All I see is wall to wall blaze orange during hunting season. I don't see the sport as dying out.

I've hunted since 1950. I see nothing but growth. Correct me with figures if i'm wrong. I can still learn.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Spike

I got my license and shot my first rabbit when I was 11 years young. Two years ago, my grandson at twelve years old wanted to hunt with me. He at 12, me at 58 years young, went through the "hunter safety class" in Ohio. Thiry youngsters and adults when through this class. I was the oldest there. His dad(my son) never wanted to hunt until his son wanted to hunt with gramps. Thankfully, Ohio came up with the "apprentice license" which his dad could buy(3 times max) and try hunting before having to deal with "hunter safety class". Not bad, two new hunters helping to hold the anti's at bay.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Spike

Although the number of hunters has increased drastically over the last 60+ years, the overall percentage has decreased and anti-hunters are on a rise. Eventually, its going to boil down to either more people in the field, or not being able to hunt at all
Old 10-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

You may be right. I know you just want to help the situation.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Muley,

Yes, there are lots of hunters. But, there is also tons more people. Crime rates have dropped drastically since the 80's and early 90's, but our prisons are still over flowing. More population= more hunters. But not the same percent as it used to be.
Another thing I've noticed, there are hunters for big game. But small game hunting is disappearing. I love chasing squirrels, rabbits, birds, and all that stuff. But not many people do it anymore.
I know that's all a little off subject, but I do have concerns for the future of hunting. It's not all bright and clear in my opinion.
-Jake
Old 11-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Spike

(Sorry to dig this thread up after a few weeks, but I had some relevant experience/input)

I'm a 23yo girly girl. Never been hunting, nobody in my family hunts, and to be entirely honest, I had never shot anything but a BB gun until this year. Nobody took me seriously when I said I wanted to learn. I have always had a strong interest in hunting and had always wanted to learn, but it's kind of one of those things that is hard to jump into without some serious guidance. I absolutely wish that I had been raised going on hunting trips, learning about gun safety, and being introduced to the hunter culture. I grew up in the beautiful hunter's paradise of Northern Wyoming, and I feel like I've missed out.

Finally, this year I took matters into my own hands. I figured out what I'd need to be a legal hunter. I took my hunter safety course. It was me and about 20 10-year old boys who already knew loads more about hunting and guns than I did. But the course was very valuable to me. I got a crash course in the basics, and I desperately needed that knowledge. I did not even know what a bolt action was. I didn't even know what an action was. I'm GLAD that it wouldn't have been legal for me to go hunting without knowing those things, I had no business being out hunting. Yes, it was kind of lame sitting in a class and taking a test with all those little boys, but so be it.

I took my hunter safety course seriously. I studied, read the book and handouts, learned Wyoming's laws, and ended up getting a 100% on the test. It was valuable information. I have also picked the brains of many experienced hunters, did my own research, went on a few hunting trips with no intention of shooting anything but just to observe, and finally, with the help of my "guide"/friend, I took my own deer. I dragged, field dressed, processed, and packaged her myself.

I'm still a very new hunter ("huntress," as I prefer, hehe) and still have a ridiculous amount to learn. I look forward to a lifetime of enjoying the sport, gaining experience, and expanding my knowledge. The hunter safety course was kind of a blow to my pride and it was no fun, I'll admit. But it was a minor obstacle to cross for the benefits it provided. And quite frankly, I'd rather have less hunters than people who are out hunting without knowing the very bare bones basics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.