HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are we shooting ourselves in the foot with hunter safety course?
Old 10-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Lost_By_Choice
Spike

Originally Posted by Terasec
Just because one is a hunter doesn't make them a safe, ethical legal hunter.
Most of the poaching and game law violators are rarely new hunters, but usually seasoned hunters.

That statement right there emphasizes the point that hunter safety is not a full proof method for ensuring all hunters are safe. Statistically, "mentors" would mirror the quality of hunters being produced from the course, not alter it. Again, you can't fix stupid, so some will slip by just like they do already.

I don't see how it would be any less safe, it's not a shortcut at all. It still would require them to take the course. People can drive with a learners permit right? How would this be any diferent? I spend a tremendous amount of time in the woods……I’m not suicidal, I don’t want to get shot just like the next guy. Iim just thinking a 30, 40, 50 year old on average, is on a little different intellectual playing field then a 12 year old. Not all people are gung-ho from the start, they want to test drive before they buy is all. I still think it’s a legitimate, safe and realistic approach to introduce more to the sport .