Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Landowner Tags?

Old 09-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Landowner Tags?

Have you ever purchased one/used one?

I'm considering purchasing a CO mule deer tag next year, and maybe an elk tag. Although I've considered purchasing a NM antelope in years past.

If you know anything about landowner tags or have personal experience with one, please share your experience.

What animal did you hunt?
What state?
How was the hunting pressure? ie other hunters hunting the same private property with landowner tags/outfitters?

I think it depends on the state, but some landowner tags are good for both their property and the entire unit?

If you purchase a landowner tag, I assume you don't have to purchase an additional state deer tag, ie if a state tag is $500, and you buy a landowner for $1500, you essentially are only paying an extra $1000, that's my assumption.

Please share any knowledge/experience you have with landowner tags, or even paying a trespass fee to hunt private property, and again I'm mostly considering doing this for CO deer, and maybe elk in 2012.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe in Colorado that you purchase a landowner deer voucher. Once you have the voucher, you still must purchase the deer tag for $329 (or what ever the exact amount is).
Old 09-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

What's the deal with ranching for wildlife in CO? residents only??
Old 09-29-2011, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually I have a whole fist full of them. Several antelope tags for the regular season and even a few for the special late season here in CO. Also have some for the late season eastern plains deer. All are spoken for.

The way it works here is the land owner applies for them similar to the way you apply for individual licenses. He can be awarded vouchers based on the amount of land he farms/owns and generally he can distribute them as he wishes.

Once you receive a voucher you have to take it to a authorized license dealer (Walmart, Quick stop, DOW office, sporting goods store) and pay for a license. With a voucher you avoid the whole application process but you still pay the same amount as the public does.

Here the license can be good for the entire GMU you are hunting in and some times multiple GMUs. But you are still required to get permission to hunt on private land regardless.

The land owner can do with vouchers whatever he choses. He can give them away, sell them to individuals, sell them to outfitters or use them for family.

Luck for me my brother in law gives them to me.

So what it comes down to is - you could buy a voucher then still have to buy the license.

As you can probably guess the voucher program severely limits the number of potential hunters and minimizes pressure on game.

In CO a voucher looks like this -

Ranching for Wildlife is a whole different deal. There are a number of partiscipating ranches that are in the system. The ranch has to meet minimum requirements for huntable land and number of game animals. The DOW puts together an agreement with said ranch to allow a given number of "in state" public hunters to hunt on that land in exchange for additional licenses for the ranch to do with as they please. The ranch does forfeit the ability to go to the state complaining about crop damage and game animal issues. The majority of RFW licenses are for cows/does with only a very few issued for bucks/bulls. Sweet deal if you get drawn in most cases. I've done RFW 5 times and loved it. All for cow elk.

A RFW license cost the same as a general season license for a given species.

Last edited by skb2706; 09-29-2011 at 09:15 AM.