Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
What factory ammo do you use in your 30-06 Spr. Carbines?? >

What factory ammo do you use in your 30-06 Spr. Carbines??

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What factory ammo do you use in your 30-06 Spr. Carbines??

Old 09-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default What factory ammo do you use in your 30-06 Spr. Carbines??

My son (10) and I took my new Remington 7600 Carbine (18.5" barrel) 30-06 Spr. with a Leupold VX-II 2-7x33mm Scope to the range yesterday to sight it in. I brought 2 boxes of ammo. Remington's 165 gr. PSP Core-Lokt and Winchester's 165 gr. PSP Super X. They both shot alright, however the targets I was using I generally don't do that good with so that didn't help, they're all I had though. I'm getting the targets I like and I'm going to fine tune it.

I want to go with a mid weight bullet because this rifle/carbine will be used for deer, hogs and black bear from 2 to 200 yards. I want to use a bullet that will work good on all three so I don't have to go sight the gun in every time I'm going to hunt one of the three. My last 7600 Carbine 30-06 shot Remington's 150 gr. PSP Core-Lokt's around an inch at 100 yards. I was only hunting deer then so I was happy with the 150's. This one will be used for deer and hogs mostly with black bear here and there.

What are you guys or gals using in short barreled carbine 30-06's? Or what factory ammo would you recommend if you were going to hunt the game I'll be hunting with my carbine?

Thanks, NYH!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

NYH come off the pocket! Bullets are STILL the cheapest part of the hunt. 150TSX will STILL unplug any hog, deer or bear youll find! Theyll out penetrate any 180 grn corelokt or powerpoint as well.

GETCHUSUM my good man!
HL
Old 09-29-2011, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

It amazes me that cup and core bullets that have worked well for a hundred years and killed far more game than any premium bullet are now considered inadequate. I think the OP said deer, black bear and hogs. You'll only need a 165gr bullet but I prefer the 180gr in a 30-06. Either will do what you want.

Remington core-Locks have killed more game than probably any other bullet. The Winchester Silver Tips have also been around a long, long time. Doesn't seem to me they ever gained the popularity of the Core-Locks but that does not make the Core-Lock better or the Silver tip worse.

I believe that for the majority of people that don't hand load, cup and core bullets are far better. I say that only because you can shoot quite a bit more practice rounds for a lot less money. On most animals if you properly place a good bullet, the animal will die! That is assuming you have chosen a proper bullet for the cartridge you are using. It would be silly to claim that they will maintain more weight, which by the way helps penetration. But all I have ever used is cup and core bullets for hunting, I don't recall ever recovering one! A shoot thru is about as good as it gets if the bullet is placed well.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Dominant Buck

I use Federal vial shok 180 gr with Barnes TSX for everything from small deer to big elk with my 06's. I have a Williams peep on my 7600 carbine and find it to be very accurate and a pleasure to carry in the dense woods of New England.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

I bought a box of Federal Fusion 165 gr. ammo. They shoot the best of the three I've tried so far. I'm shooting concistant 1 1/2" three shot groups. Five shot groups were still under 2". I'd shoot a few shots and then let the barrel cool down as I shot my 280 Rem. and 223 Rem.

I'll get better groups as my back heals. It's hard to crouch and shoot off a bench. So I'm pretty happy with how my hunting rifles/carbines are shooting at this point. My 30-06, 280 and 35 Rem. are ready to hunt. As is my 223!

NYH1!
Old 10-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Spike

I have taken advantage of the Nosler Custom 3 for 2 Promotion. The 30-06, 165gr offered features the Accubond bullet.

They were more accurate than the Federal Fusion or the Federal Premium with 165gr. Nosler Partition.

They shot so well that I how have 9 boxes averaging about $26 per box.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

My dad shoots remmy corelokts 180 grain. Shoots them well. Gun has been used for deer, antelope, coyote, and hog from 12 yards to 260 yards. The 180 is probably a little big for all of them, but it isn't bad. The gun shoots them well, and they're easy to find. I'm sure there are better bullets out there. But that gun is for hunting, not for groups off the bench.
-Jake
Old 10-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Spike

I have an old Enfield 30-06,(Fajen stock/2-7 Nikon) and it does not like much other 180 gr stuff.
Been told that the twist dictates that?
Old 10-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I read a good article on '06 somehwere (Chuck Hawks ?) that the first mil version was 172gr, and it was preferred by Vietnam era snipers to the later mfgr 150gr ball ammo.

As for bullet weight choice....try a few and shoot what your gun likes best. I'm not the first to offer up that advice, just a proponent of the philosophy.

If you want really good info on center fire accuracy and bullet choice compared to twist rates, talk to any high-power rifle nuts that shoot at Creedmore and/or Palma type matches.

Me...my '06 likes 180gr Wolf Gold. I've got some b-tip Hornady's that shoot good on paper, but have yet to meet some meat.

Last edited by JoeA; 10-12-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:39 AM
Spike

Tried lighter bullets in order to establish more fps/flatter/father, and they were flying all over the map.
Went to the 180 gr rounds and grouped 'em plenty good enough, for minute-of-venison.
Left it alone after that.