Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Where were you on 9/11 hunters? for book project >

Where were you on 9/11 hunters? for book project

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Where were you on 9/11 hunters? for book project

Old 08-11-2003, 02:00 PM
Spike

Default RE: Where were you on 9/11 hunters? for book project

Sure, I' ll tell you whatever I can. I did fail to tell you that my Mom was along on the hunt. She' s 68 and coming near to the end of her hunting days. It was great to have her along. The entire trip meant a lot to me. Email me and I' ll do what I can to help. Thanks. [email protected]
Old 08-12-2003, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife had been sick all night so when I got up she was asleep & I did not want to disturb her so NEVER turned on the TV or Radio. I had planned to drive to my father-in-laws farm & do some mowing for him, 20 miles from my home. I left a note for my wife & slipped out of the house. I was a little over half way when I turned on the car radio and the first thing I heard was-WE have been attacked-someone has declared war on us from local newscasters. I flew into my father-in-laws & called my wife & that is when we saw TV & what had happened.
On the 1st anniversary of 9/11 my wife & I were headed for Sweetwater Creek Bowhunting & we talked about the tragety the entire trip of 14 hours.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:24 AM

I actually began seeing the first footage of the attacks while preparing to leave for a business trip to Denver, 3 hours away...as I drove across South Park, an enormous valley in central Colorado at about 9,000 ft above sea level, I noticed not a single plane in the vast expanse of sky that is visible from that place. Eerie and sad, a visible manifestation of the vicious and cowardly attacks that had occurred that morning.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:26 PM

I was sitting in a training class for work . One of the guys came in and said a plain had hit the traid center . at first we thought it was a joke but saddly it was not. I was on the phone the rest of the day with friends who worked for the airline. a very deer friend is a flight attendent for American and knew some of the crew I was one of the most heart wrinching days ofr my life...
Old 08-14-2003, 08:14 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-15-2003, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had just gotten out of madrigals, my zero-hour singing group, during my senior year of Smoky Valley High school, I was wasting time before I had to head over to Bethany College for Calculus, I was in the commons sitting at a round table across from the TV' s, reading the chapter, on rainy river in Tim O' Brien' s ' The Things They Carried' , a book I' d borrowed from my American history professor, Rick, the janitor, was watching the news like he did everyday, and it suddenly came on, just after the first strike, I watched in awe. The general student body hadn' t arrived yet, so myself and two other students and several of the faculty stood slack-jawed, one of the office secretaries started crying.

When the first tower fell, I had not gone to class yet, and had moved to the library conference room with my principal and a few other staff, my former english teacher ran out and later came back with my advanced composition teacher in tow, she wouldn' t believe that the tower had collapsed, as she was familiar with the structure, so she had come out of class to see for herself, she had just come in when the second tower fell. She cried out her nieces name and ran out, ran all the way to her car and to her husbands work. Her niece worked in the towers, and by the grace of God, was taking a ' in-town' business trip that day.

Six degrees of separation, I believe in it.
Old 09-06-2003, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

I was on a military base in Maryland. After the brief I was to give, (I teach combat search and rescue) I was headed to the Pentagon to see a guy that used to work for me. Didn' t get to make the trip. Even though he was in the offices hardest hit prior to the attack, he was able to make it out ok.

After the first plane hit, us oldsters knew it was not an accident.

Wifey was at home (we live on a military base). I was not able to reach her immediately as the phone lines were already tied up. I was able to reach my secretary and asked her to relay the message. She asked a co worker (Marine Corp Colonel) to drive to our house and tell my wife that I was ok. He just happened to be in Dress Blues. Wellllllll, you can imagine what she was thinking.

She had been to the clinic earlier in the day, prior to news of the attacks, and complained of radiating chest pains, slight nausea, and a family history of heart problems. They did nothing to rule out current heart problems, which is another story in itself. Anyway, she was afraid to ask him THE question. So, the first words out of her mouth were...." Is this about what happened at the clinic?" She was afraid that she was in trouble. We laugh about this now.

BTW, she is now an avid elk hunter and does some very nice shooting with her braked .300.

Email on the way
Old 09-06-2003, 06:32 PM

I was driving into NYC to make a sales call for my civilian (real life job) when I heard on the radio that the first plane had hit the North Tower.
When the second plane struck the South Tower I knew, as everyone else did that it was a terrorist attack and immediately turned my car around making an illegal U-turn. I knew that I would be called to Active Duty because I was at that time a part of a military Search and Rescue detachment out of the Peekskill Armory in Peekskill NY.
When I got home there were already three phone messages and a fax calling me to Active Duty. My bags were packed in advance and after I threw on my BDUs I called my wife and told her I didn' t know when I would be home. Within an hour I was at the armory trying desperately to contact our people but cell phones and land lines were all down or over crowded. It took nearly three hours to assemble our people, draw equipment and board the trucks.
In those hours people came to the armory asking if they could be of any assistance. One elderly gentleman brought a bag of groceries to the front door for the victims. I was never so proud to be an American as on that day.
To this day I' m still seeing things that the rest of the world saw on TV but I had missed because we got a little busy after that morning.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:44 PM

I had two early patients that morning. Treated them and went to talk to a friend that owns a grocery store and coffee shop. I had a cup of joe with him and went back to work. As I pulled into the office, I heard on the radio that a plane had struck one of the towers. I went into the office and told my receptionist. We turned on the radio and she was listening while I treated another patient. As we came out of the room. She had a pale look on her face and said that another plane had hit the second tower. That' s when it really sunk in. I had a patient that had her 66th birthday that day, and another that every time he' s in coments that he was in my office with a terrible neck ache the morning the planes hit. My Brother-in-law' s sister was boarding a plane in Minneapolis when they grounded the flights. She had a meeting at 1 WTC at 1:30 that day. A little to close for her. I watched a couple of the shows last night on the buildings and the day and your heart can' t help but go out to those people. May God bless them all!
Old 09-09-2003, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

i and my coworker were at work in the warehouse working on some pallets of boxed goods when we received a phone call from our one coworker , she said a plane had just hit the wtc , and it was on fire , later she called back and told us that another plane had hit the other tower and they were both on fire , and then she called back a third time to tell us that the towers had started to collapse , we then went to our other plant to work with storage racks and were able to get a radio on and listen to the tragedy unfold with the plane that hit the pentagon , and the one that crashed in that pa field, i felt afraid and alone at first , then uneasyness , then anger , all of those innocent lives that were lost , i kept thinking about the small school age children who were with thier teacher in the one plane that hit the tower , and how they never got the chance to grow up or even see thier mommy and daddy again. the biggest feeling that i had however wasn' t anger , it was emptiness. i' m stopping there with it

Quick Reply: Where were you on 9/11 hunters? for book project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.