Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Bear help/suggestions

Old 08-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Spike

Default Bear help/suggestions

I have a friend here in VA who has some land and a bear problem... specifically a 300-400 lb black bear that has taken a liking to his neighborhood and his property specifically (has killed some livestock; chased some neighbors, etc, etc). So, as he puts it... time to let the bear meet his maker. Once the appropriate season starts, he has asked me to come out and see what can be done about it using a tree stand I use for keeping the deer population in check.

I plan to use my 308 (largest thing I own besides my 12 gauge)..... and I do reload so I can custom make my rounds. Thus, my question: what is the best to use with the bear? What I have on hand:

150 gram AP bullets, fully jacketed. Loaded about 2650 fps.
150 gram military surplus, fully jacketed. About 2700 fps
165 gram sierra game king (spitzer, boat-tail, jacketed, lead point) - 2500 fps
180 gram game king (same config) - 2300 fps
200 gram game king (same config) - 2200 fps

I have read conflicting comments (bigger, heavier is better) although have also seen that the goal is a "through and through" wound - which makes me wonder about the AP bullets. So, in your opinion, which is the best direction to go?? BTW, I will be using a Remington 760 (pump) rifle with a 10-round clip, so, I can cycle that thing pretty quickly if needed.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:25 AM
Spike

Personally of the bullets you have I would go with the Game King Spitzer. I like the Nosler Partitions best but I think the Game Kings will work just fine if you have accurate loads for them in your rifle. As for the "Through and Through", I like to see a good exit wound to give you a Blood trail to follow if needed, But you don't want just a hole all the way through. You need some expansion to go along with the penatration. A small exit hole can plug up with fat or hair on bear and prevent you getting a blood trail. I would personally stay away from a full jacket bullet for that reason.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would say depending on the distance from the stand to where the bear might show at, so that the bullets can totally open up, not just wiz through.