Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Why do people hunt bears?

Old 07-28-2017, 10:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I doubt he will ever be back, he was an anti troll.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I know if you want to eat a bear pot roast, and they are very tasty, then it sure works out better if you hunt and kill the bear first. I sure wouldn't want to try and take meat off one while it is still alive.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not if you ever saw what they do to downed logs and tree stumps looking for grubs.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I doubt he will ever be back, he was an anti troll.
Given how many years it has been this thread was started, you might actually be right.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:58 PM
Spike

Baiting is only allowsd in my area in the spring (north eastern alberta). The bears would likely taste horrible and the fur wouldn't be great...

But bears are a pest on our farm, so I am fully in support of the practice. Bears spread berry patches....but they also flatten crops and kill livestock, and are constantly in the local camp site. We simply have too many black bears.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:03 AM
Spike

For a bit of perspective, a couple years ago, my brothers/cousins shot 25 black bears during one harvest of our grain crops, and last year I shot 5 myself. Still too many of the bastards in our country.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:06 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
One reason to hunt over food is so you can pick your Bear. You can choose by age or gender.

Another reason is to reinforce the fear of man. The Bear that head for the deep woods when they get the slightest scent of man have little to worry about.

The main threats to apex predators is disease, the second is other apex predators. man usually gets the stupid ones. Keeping the numbers down limits the spread of disease. Limiting the numbers of apex predators is self preservation.

I personally find hunting over feeders to be distasteful and somewhat unfair. I spend a lot of time scouting my hunts, I usually have my Deer spotted months before season opens, sometimes years. Not everybody can afford to put the time and effort into hunting that I do.

This is the smartest post I've ever read online.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

How many bears is a hunter allowed to kill a year in California?
Old 08-11-2017, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Arkansas.

We were once the Bear State, until they were all killed.

Reintroduced in the 80's we now how a tight quota on bears, the northern part of the state 2 years ago was a 205 bear limit - when it was met, no more bears early season.

I unwrapped 18,000 granola bars, spent 100 hours doing that, putting the barrels out, running the baits etc ......... all for the chance at a bear in a season that closes in 4-5 days and goes to hell if the acorns fall early

I was lucky and killed a 200# sow

One of my greatest trophies, exceptional table fare

They are a resource, need managed by hunting, heck of a lot of work, and fun ... that's why I hunted bears and will again this fall
Old 08-11-2017, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

How often do we get flat out anti-hunting trolls on here?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.