Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Wyoming Region D info

Old 08-04-2011, 09:14 AM
BDC
Fork Horn

Default Wyoming Region D info

I will be heading to Wyoming for the first time mid October. We drew region D and was wondering if anyone had any tips they would like to share about hunting mule deer there. I am very excited.

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:47 AM
BDC
Fork Horn

Anyone?? (echo, echo, echo.....)
Old 08-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by BDC
Anyone?? (echo, echo, echo.....)
i don't remember which area region d is, but since it's by region, you need to watch because you can't hunt every sub unit in that region.

if it's the area near casper, you'll have trouble accessing good land unless you come from the south. the stuff near town gets hit hard.

i always hunted region m for muleys and antelope over near casper. but wyoming is having a problem with wolves in region m. last year i saw only about a dozen deer in the week, where the year before i saw hundreds across the unit. only saw 2 legal deer a spike and a fork horn.

good luck, muley hunting is easy. you hike and glass.

bring 10x42 or better binos, a fanny pack with water and a sandwhich, the rest is self explanitory.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Casper is way to the southeast of Region M and there is only an occasional wolf in that whole part of the state. I don't know where he hunted, but the information he gave on D and M is completely misleading and incorrect. Region D is from Casper going south to the Colorado border and doesn't have any limited entry units that you can't hunt on the general tag.

"muley hunting is easy. you hike and glass." I got a real laugh out of that sentence! I think that whole post may have been better to have never been placed on the thread!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 08-10-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:46 AM
BDC
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies. We will be staying in the Medicine Bow area. We can hunt, like you say, from Casper to the Colorado State line. I am just looking for any advice on the best areas to muley hunt between these two areas. I figure muley hunting is a little harder than hike, glass and shoot. lol

Thanks again.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Casper is way to the southeast of Region M and there is only an occasional wolf in that whole part of the state. I don't know where he hunted, but the information he gave on D and M is completely misleading and incorrect. Region D is from Casper going south to the Colorado border and doesn't have any limited entry units that you can't hunt on the general tag.

"muley hunting is easy. you hike and glass." I got a real laugh out of that sentence! I think that whole post may have been better to have never been placed on the thread!
yeah, my sentance structure was poorly made. region m is south of thermopolis up to the wind river. and last year, unfortunately, saw a couple wolves, lots of bones scattered out and few mule deer.

i hunted antelope around the casper area, but never haeld a mule deer permit over on that side.

that's how i meant to say it.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:09 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by BDC
Thanks for the replies. We will be staying in the Medicine Bow area. We can hunt, like you say, from Casper to the Colorado State line. I am just looking for any advice on the best areas to muley hunt between these two areas. I figure muley hunting is a little harder than hike, glass and shoot. lol

Thanks again.

hiking, glassing and shooting are all there is to it. the biggest trick is finding places with water, cover and food that don't get hit too hard by local hunters.

since muleys migrate seasonally, i'd start at the high elevations and work down the mountain if it's hot. if it's cold, start at the bottom. it sure isn't rocket science, and as you'll learn, finding deer isn't usually the problem, it's finding the one you want.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I really wonder if you know where you hunted and how long you have hunted mule deer! Region M goes south from Hwy 20 between Worland and TenSleep down to the highway between Riverton and Casper. Thermopolis is on the west border of unit 37, which is an LE unit on the southwest side of Region M. After reading more information that you just posted, I have to ask where you live and how many times you have hunted mulies, as well as how many you've shot? Also, there are probably more mulies that live in a small area their entire life than ones that migrate any real distance in that whole part of the state.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 08-12-2011 at 07:02 PM.