Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Confession of an elkaholic >

Confession of an elkaholic

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Confession of an elkaholic

Old 07-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Confession of an elkaholic

This is a bit thin as a topic, but frankly things have seemed a bit slow in here, so I'll try to liven things up. If I fail, my apologies.

I started out deer hunting in 2002 and did that every mid-November for several years. I went on my first elk hunt in the high mountains of Colorado in 2006. I went back in 2009, and I'm going back this October. Deer hunting no longer holds any draw for me whatsoever. I like elk meat much better than venison, and my family strongly agrees with this appraisal. I love going up into the high mountains -- 11500' high -- in early to mid-October and sleeping in a canvas wall tent and traipsing around in the mountains by day, huddling in the tent with a nice warm fire at night and briefly emerging from the tent several times during the night and seeing the sky full of bright stars and feeling the temperature about 15 degrees. I like driving out to elk camp from Texas near Dallas; I like driving back with ice chests full of elk meat.

About this time of year when I'm planning an elk trip I begin to obsess in various ways about elk hunting. I read and reread books on elk hunting. I excavate on various hunting sites to try to find new previously unread threads on elk hunting topics of interest to me. I make checklists of equipment to take on the trip. I begin to get equipment out to verify it is all where I can find it and hasn't been expropriated by my children or eaten by alien life forms. I view and review my pictures from earlier elk hunting trips.

I like pronghorn hunting, which I have only done once, but it does not have nearly the power over me that elk hunting has. What about you? Are you an elkaholic? (By the way, I don't claim this witty term -- I've seen someone other use it -- maybe it was their handle). In what forms does your obsession manifest itself? What time of year does this come over you?
Old 07-30-2011, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've been hunting deer and elk since the 50's. Mostly elk, because deer doesn't give me the same challenge as elk. I've made elk hunting more of a challenge now by using a muzzleloader.

I live where I hunt, and scout from 9000ft to 12,000 ft 300 days a year. I'm obsessed with elk hunting, and never stop thinking about it. I've read every book written on elk hunting. Not so much to learn anymore, but just because I like to read other views.

If I had to eat nothing but elk meat the rest of my life. I'd be happy.

My name is Pete, and i'm an elkaholic.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I've been hunting deer and elk since the 50's. Mostly elk, because deer doesn't give me the same challenge as elk. I've made elk hunting more of a challenge now by using a muzzleloader.

I live where I hunt, and scout from 9000ft to 12,000 ft 300 days a year. I'm obsessed with elk hunting, and never stop thinking about it. I've read every book written on elk hunting. Not so much to learn anymore, but just because I like to read other views.

If I had to eat nothing but elk meat the rest of my life. I'd be happy.

My name is Pete, and i'm an elkaholic.
Hi Pete.............
Old 07-30-2011, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Elkaholics

Hello my name is Quinton and me and my whole family are........

ELKAHOLICS !!!!!!!

Last edited by elkkill2006; 07-30-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

So what are you trying to tell us?

Ron
Old 07-31-2011, 05:22 PM
Spike

I grew up hunting whitetails in PA and moved to Brazil 20 years ago. I've never hunted elk...but I hunt their cousins in La Pampa, Argentina. Elk bugle; red stags ROAR!
I can no longer stalk game in thick cover because I'm in a wheelchair, so now I hunt from a ground blind.
The roar occurs in March/April (seasons are reversed in South America). What a rush!
Confession of an elkaholic-arg013.jpg

Confession of an elkaholic-red-stag-2010.jpg
Old 07-31-2011, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Brazilnut
I grew up hunting whitetails in PA and moved to Brazil 20 years ago. I've never hunted elk...but I hunt their cousins in La Pampa, Argentina. Elk bugle; red stags ROAR!
I can no longer stalk game in thick cover because I'm in a wheelchair, so now I hunt from a ground blind.
The roar occurs in March/April (seasons are reversed in South America). What a rush!
Attachment 17947

Attachment 17948
Good for you for your positive attitude.

Red Stags are close enough.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man elkkill, in the 10th pic. down, with the cow elk, the lady and 3 kids, there's a mean old looking back pack that reminds me of the old army frame packs that we used back in the day. I thought those army packs were a "rough way to pack out elk meat"., but seeing that old pack in that pic. makes me think we had it pretty good with the army packs back then.
I love elk hunting, second only to calling coyotes, BUT I kinda take elk hunting for granted every year. I look forward to archery season, but it's not the top of my list, although as far as big game goes, it IS at the top of the list. I've got 15 days slated on the calender for elk hunting, so I do like doing it,....a lot.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Spike

thanks for the photos and making me very envious
Old 08-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Spike

hi my names landen and i am an elkoholic i have ben for all i can remember. the good thing about being an elkoholic over a alcoholic is the only the hitting rock bottom is the elk!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.