Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear hunting advice

Old 07-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Default Bear hunting advice

I am thinking about doing a bear hunt in the near future and was wandering if any of yall could give some referance as where the best odds would be for a non resident.

All advice would be appreciated. Even outfitters if I should go that way. I prefer not to (I'd rather do it my self) but I am gonna have learn first..

Thanks
Old 07-23-2011, 07:33 PM
Spike

you can come out to northwest montana. we have a very healthy population here. Bear hunting here is just like any other big game animal in this state, it's fair chase only, no baiting of any kind. so if you decide to try it, bring a good spotting scope or glasses and prepare to stalk one for a good shot.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Fork Horn

You were not very specific , black bear ,or grizz. guided ? spring or fall?
There are many options here. The coastal areas have the best trophies, but usually the most regulated. There are many areas that have open season on black bears and limits as high as three bears a year. Black bear hunts in some areas are DIY , some require back up, transportation etc.So just what do you have in mind.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

If you dont live close to, or in bear country, it gets difficult without a guide. It is one of those things you have to put plenty of time into, be it scouting for spot and stalk or bait shooting. Even though NY has a healthy bear population, they are very seldom shot other than incidental to deer hunting, with no baiting or dogs allowed, and the terrain isnt generally conducive to spotting/ stand hunting over prospective terrain. You can find very reasonably priced bait hunts in Maine and Canada. I have paid 1600.oo (license, processing, etc. not included) the last 4 years, have shot 3 bears and passed on many more. Generallly baiting is very high succsess rate, and for the money is well spent. I would love to try dogs, but no where in a reasonable driving distance does it.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

The guide route my be the best option. We do have a season here in Oklahoma but the limit is 20 state wide. With doing the guide route it would have to be a black bear. There is no way I could afford a Grizz.. DIY are definatly more rewarding but with having to take a trip well away from where I live it is probably out of the question.

Spring or fall really doesn't matter to me just the chance to get out there and have the opportunity. The only game animal state side that is higher on my list is a good mule deer.

Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate it.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:08 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Kelly

This fall is my first bear season as a outfitter, and hope to get all my guy's a bear. I have cheap bear hunts that can fit anybody's budget. Season starts aug 15, tag is $200. Feel free to give me a call or drop me a line.

Thanks
Cantrap
Old 08-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Spike

well a guide is not the way to go. I go out to Idaho in the wilderness and get droped off by a bush pilot for a week. there is so many bears out there. and total you will have about 1000 dollars in it ( plust taxidermy cost ). and you get a lot more pride in taking the game. at least i do. it is not a hunt for a guy that is affraid or not able to put in the work. not a easy hunt but well worth it.