Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

We got drawn for elk!

Old 07-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default We got drawn for elk!

My buddy Dan and I both got drawn for elk(first time) Now the planning begins. Coincides with waterfowl and bear too. Gotta check about archery for deer also.

Ron
Old 07-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Where are you hunting your elk? I have heard it said several times that if you are hunting elk you ought to just focus on hunting the elk until you've got the elk down and the meat appropriately recovered and in good care. Notwithstanding, you may have a particular plan or seasoned veteran who is leading you that knows how to allow you to do these things together. Just thought I'ld mention this idea.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:09 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a muley tag this year but will still buy an OTC bull tag for 2nd season rifle in Colorado. The areas I hunt over lap for elk and deer so it would be a heartbreaker to be set up waiting for the deer to start moving and see that nice 6X6 bull wandering up the canyon without having a tag in my pocket.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I have a muley tag this year but will still buy an OTC bull tag for 2nd season rifle in Colorado. The areas I hunt over lap for elk and deer so it would be a heartbreaker to be set up waiting for the deer to start moving and see that nice 6X6 bull wandering up the canyon without having a tag in my pocket.
That is an excellent point I never thought of before.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Alsatian
That is an excellent point I never thought of before.
Really the only reason to NOT get the OTC tag is the money and I figure if I am going to drive 2100 miles each way a measily $550 bucks shouldn't bother me too much. 2 years ago I drew a cow tag and in scouting we saw a ton of bulls so I got an OTC bull tag too and filled them both a day apart all DIY hunting.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Alsatian
Where are you hunting your elk? I have heard it said several times that if you are hunting elk you ought to just focus on hunting the elk until you've got the elk down and the meat appropriately recovered and in good care. Notwithstanding, you may have a particular plan or seasoned veteran who is leading you that knows how to allow you to do these things together. Just thought I'ld mention this idea.
I guess I should have said this is the first time we`ve both been drawn at the same time. Hunting in Manitoba, Canada(res only). Priority is on elk with all others concidered a bonus. We have lots of time for the rest plus numerous big game seasons.

Ron