Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Gila Wilderness Unit 16B

Old 06-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Spike

Default Gila Wilderness Unit 16B

I am headed to NM for my first elk hunt. Has anyone hunted 16B? I would like some tips on camo, packs, terrain, etc.

Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

a great unit in the Gila.

archery? which season?

Last edited by salukipv1; 06-15-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Spike

Third week I believe, Sept. 19-24...archery hunt. packing in on horses. Could not be more excited. Have you hunted 16B? Thanks for the help
Old 06-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

hunted 16 B, 3rd season archery a few years back, no luck though.

Last edited by salukipv1; 06-15-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I stand corrected, I did hunt 16B!

I thought 16D was the wilderness for some reason.

by 3rd season most of the rains were done, the cover was quite green, unlike much of the rest of the gila.

the wilderness tends to be higher altitude I believe than the other 16's and stays greener etc...it has some rough country,

best of luck!
Old 06-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Spike

no luck...did you just not see any animals or just could not get shots? were they bugling the third week? i have heard the third week is when the bulls are most vocal.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by tsarge15
no luck...did you just not see any animals or just could not get shots? were they bugling the third week? i have heard the third week is when the bulls are most vocal.

Heard bugling everyday, some mornings more than others, actually day 1 was probably the most bugling, course that was the coldest morning of the week.

I think that 3rd week has the most noise, but probably the most bulls with cows too, can be tricky once they're with cows etc...

rather than saying be in the best shape of your life.... the better shape you are in the better it'll pay off.

we saw some elk, heard many more than we saw, my guide supposedly saw a 350 and could have shot it, I however only heard it, a lil mis communication, which did bumm me pretty hard, had he been where we discussed I probably would have killed that 350".

They're out there, hunt hard all week and I think you'd get a chance, of course that shot always comes when you're least prepared. I'd really be looking for a 6x6 300"+ there...they say every year my guide/outfitter views a 400", some other guys we were with saw some big boys, one guy saw a big 7x7, 1 guy got a shot and missed, and 1 other guy killed a 340" kinda non-typical.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Spike

I am definitely going to be prepared when I go. I am only 22 years old and stay very active but I realize it is much different than what I am used to. I have heard from multiple sources that the terrain is rugged. I am going to be sure that I can walk all day if need be. I have already looked up the moon phases and it is going to be very dark the week we are hunting, which should help with the bugling. Hopefully they will be vocal longer into the morning and rest all night. I am sorry to hear about the bad luck. I am sure you had a blast even though you did not get a shot. I am looking forward to this trip. It keeps me up thinking about it every night!
Old 06-16-2011, 04:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Not sure what the altitude is there but I take meds to help with altitude sickness when i go to Colorado. My first year hunting at 10,000 plus resulted in severe flue like symptoms and I had trouble breathing with asthma like symptoms. Since then I take a pill for 3 days before I get there and a day or two after and no more problems. I took my wife out there and she had the same problems her first trip which was in the summer. We have been back 2 other times and no more problems since we both took the pill.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Typical Buck

Altitude is usually no more than 7800 that we recorded..mostly 6500-7500 is where we hunted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.