Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

First Elk! :)

Old 06-07-2011, 06:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Canned hunting is not looked favorably upon by probably 95% of the HNI members. To some, especially inexperienced outdoorsmen, it may seem like an easy way to bag an animal. Often times those views change when the person finds out for himself that true hunting is fair chase. A little pressure and education by the hunting community can help speed along that thought through forums like this one. Let's hope everyone comes to that conclusion sooner than later.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

Well said Islander. I am against it. I will never be in a fenced or canned hunt. I have no idea what the legality of hunting Elk in an exotic fenced area is. I am sure they got to be "legal" or they would be shut down pretty quickly. So the guy may be legal but maybe not what some may call ethical. But lets not jump to conclusion. As far as most of us know there is no legal season open at this time. However I found out this spring in Oklahoma some farmers can get deprovation permits to kill nuisence Elk and Deer on their land. They can also allow other people to help. It is Feb 1 to June 1 and you can take a cows and does only. So maybe he knows a farmer that let him take one. So in the court of public opinion we should wait to see what he says.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

The San Luis Valley in Colorado has a summer season for elk along the Rio Grande River. Units 791 and 682 are a no tolerance units for elk. Which I think is crap but you got all the farmers and ranchers complaining about elk eating their food therefore they get to slaughter elk for the better part of the year. I have been personally against this since the beginning. If they want the elk to stop inhabiting private ranches maybe they should stop hunting them so long in the mountains and take some of the pressure off them. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

400 pounds...so is that 380 for the cow and 20 for the calf? Must have been a two for one sale. It never ceases to amaze me the stuff that some people will brag about.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

Well AK jeff most cows that are hunted in the fall are pregnant.....as the most hunts are after the rut!!! does this mean you look down yer nose at all hunters that take cows????
Old 06-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by finnbear
Well AK jeff most cows that are hunted in the fall are pregnant.....as the most hunts are after the rut!!! does this mean you look down yer nose at all hunters that take cows????
There's a word of difference between shooting a cow that has been impregnated for a couple of weeks and shooting one in June that likely has a calf hiding in the grass that's sure to starve to death now. Do I look down my nose at the latter situation...you bet your ass I do.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

Cow hunters have no balls!!!!! LMAO LOL HAHA
Old 06-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Alltlk4
I would think 150-200. Where did you get her?
In Kerr County Texas.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
What season is open now?
I'm in Texas, so there's no season on non-indigenous animals.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Judging from his other posts and the background of the pictures he's posting, it looks like he's hunting a high-fenced Texas ranch that specializes in exotics!!! PS: Elk are considered exotics down there, just like Blackbucks, Aoudad, etc.
That's right. They're exotics here. No closed season. This ranch was 3000 acres and they have all the species you mentioned. I usually go home empty handed since it's a large area to stalk. but this time it was a win. I'm recently unemployed and I'm going to focus on school now and not get another job, so this will give me meat for a while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.