Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

deer

Old 04-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Spike

Default deer

are deer good to eat?
Old 04-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Spike

Venison is the best game meat in my opinion.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer are as different from each other as people are. Given the fact that they range not only all across this country from FL to Alaska but there are a few different types and even some sub-types. A skinny little whitetail from the everglades won't taste anything like a big timber buck from the top of the rockies someplace. Their diets would be totally different, thus their meat would be as well.

With that said I like venison and prefer to eat the ones taken from farm land as opposed to forested areas.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

It depends a lot on how you take care of the meat, and what the deer has been eating.

It can be very good, or really lousy.

On a personal note. I only hunt for elk now. Best meat ever. (if you take care of it)
Old 04-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
It depends a lot on how you take care of the meat, and what the deer has been eating.

It can be very good, or really lousy.

On a personal note. I only hunt for elk now. Best meat ever. (if you take care of it)
I agree with Muley Hunter. You get what you put into it. If you bring it home, and don't take any time trimming it out properly, or getting it cool quickly enough, then it taste like ass, but it is delicious if you put the work into it! find someone who knows how to take care of their big game and cook it, then learn from them. That's how I did it with a friend from Wyoming. My old man only knows how to clean birds, so that is all I learned growing up. Learn from someone who does it well. If you don't know that person, then ask and we can help you out.