Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Elk hunting with an expandable broadhead? >

Elk hunting with an expandable broadhead?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunting with an expandable broadhead?

Old 05-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by eyeball2
a lot of times elk can be in meadows with high weeds or brush. if and expandable catches something on the way and does a nosedive you will cry.
So brush or high weeds do not effect fixed blades?!? Just wondering.

-South
Old 05-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Spike

not a high stalk of grass. i have killed bulls and bucks (3 ten point w.tails) with the rocket steelhead 100 but hve seen expandables catch a long stem of grass between the blade tip and point and i have had bulls come by in high grass marshy areas. i loved those rockets but i could see the handwrighting on the wall. the odds are on your side so good luck. me, i never been lucky enough to depend on luck, i required labor, skill, and God's smile to score.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

Here in my area we hunt high mtn. elk (no swamp hunting...) & I have never had an issue or even a worry about my broadheads (RAGE 2-blade). I don't have a reason to depend on luck either I have tested all my gear & it has proven itself over & over again & everytime I head out into the back country I know my gear will perform & the only worry is how I perform when it counts. lol

-South
Old 05-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Spike

Anything mechanical is prone to mechanical failure more than something else which is basically either one piece or welded, glued. I think mechanical broadheads have come into vogue due to industry more than performance enhancement/results in the field. A good archer is going to make the shot, but a mechanical might fail under conditions on failure to deploy and when that happens it will be wounded game. From the studies I have read about them, they seem to be prone to mechanical failure the steeper the angle shot when it connects to the body. So if you're going to use them it might be worth knowing this.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Fork Horn

Grouping all mechanicals into one big group doesn't make sense. There are front, rear, & expandable cut on contact broadheads. I happen to work for a broadhead company & I have personally done my fair share of testing. The front deploying heads are by far the sketchiest; they have a tendency of opening in flight & are least dependable. The rear deploying will never open in flight if O-ring/ locking mechanism is properly used; the rear deploying also offers a bigger entry wound & wound canal. The COC expandable-heads are the best of both worlds (besides the fact they dont fly true to field points) these heads are going to cut no matter what & they offer a bigger entry & canal.

To say people use mechanical broadheads not on performance but rather it is just all hype is an ignorant thing to say. Our studies have showed that 63% of modern archers are using mechanicals & the numbers are rising; do you really think people will ignore poor results & instead use just because it is the "cool thing to do"?? If you choose to use the dependable COC heads go for it, but dont make ill comments based on opinion & call it facts.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Spike

dont know much about archery just been on alot of elk hunts with my uncle who does archery im a rifle hunter but the first year was gonna go he bought some expandable and took them to the range and he hit the target but they didnt expand, so he went to a fixed blade broad head and he never has used nething else with several elk on his belt. just my 2 cents hopes this helps
Old 05-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

The only reason a fixed blade wont fly the same as your field points is that your bow is not broadhead tuned. You shouldn't be shooting expandables if you can't get a fixed blade to fly right out of your bow. Your statement that they don't fly true to field points is absolutely wrong and I believe that is why more people are switching to expandables. If fixed blades don't fly straight out of their bow they say oh well and grab some expandables that wont fly any different even though their bow is not tuned. A well tuned bow can shoot whatever you screw on the end of your arrows and hit the same as field points given the weight of the heads are the same.

Originally Posted by South33
Grouping all mechanicals into one big group doesn't make sense. There are front, rear, & expandable cut on contact broadheads. I happen to work for a broadhead company & I have personally done my fair share of testing. The front deploying heads are by far the sketchiest; they have a tendency of opening in flight & are least dependable. The rear deploying will never open in flight if O-ring/ locking mechanism is properly used; the rear deploying also offers a bigger entry wound & wound canal. The COC expandable-heads are the best of both worlds (besides the fact they dont fly true to field points) these heads are going to cut no matter what & they offer a bigger entry & canal.

To say people use mechanical broadheads not on performance but rather it is just all hype is an ignorant thing to say. Our studies have showed that 63% of modern archers are using mechanicals & the numbers are rising; do you really think people will ignore poor results & instead use just because it is the "cool thing to do"?? If you choose to use the dependable COC heads go for it, but dont make ill comments based on opinion & call it facts.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Our studies have showed that 63% of modern archers are using mechanicals & the numbers are rising; do you really think people will ignore poor results & instead use just because it is the "cool thing to do"?? If you choose to use the dependable COC heads go for it, but dont make ill comments based on opinion & call it facts.
And of those 63%, how many hunt elk. After all, whitetail is the most hunted North American big game, so logic says that most of that 63% are whitetail hunters, and an elk ain't no whitetail.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Howler
And of those 63%, how many hunt elk. After all, whitetail is the most hunted North American big game, so logic says that most of that 63% are whitetail hunters, and an elk ain't no whitetail.
Waldo,
I never once said if you can't get a fixed blade to fly right; switch to expandable!? Try this, buy an expandable COC head & tell me if it shoots like your other heads. There is a reason why there are only 2 companies making them & both are not going to continue production as of this year. We tested these heads through bows set up by reputable pro shops & they were inconsistent even with each other. It is true that a well tuned bow will shoot well-made broadheads through consistently; but it doesn't mean you can shoot a poorly made COC expandable & get the desired results.

Good point Howler,
But the survey was done on the western half of the lower 48 & if I remember correctly most were elk hunters. (I will get back to you with the exact percentage) On the survey form we asked; expandable or fixed blade & a check list of game they have harvested. We did this 2 years ago & we are going to do the survey this year also (but try to expand to the whole lower 48).

-South
Old 05-09-2011, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by South33
Waldo,
I never once said if you can't get a fixed blade to fly right; switch to expandable!? Try this, buy an expandable COC head & tell me if it shoots like your other heads. There is a reason why there are only 2 companies making them & both are not going to continue production as of this year. We tested these heads through bows set up by reputable pro shops & they were inconsistent even with each other. It is true that a well tuned bow will shoot well-made broadheads through consistently; but it doesn't mean you can shoot a poorly made COC expandable & get the desired results.

Good point Howler,
But the survey was done on the western half of the lower 48 & if I remember correctly most were elk hunters. (I will get back to you with the exact percentage) On the survey form we asked; expandable or fixed blade & a check list of game they have harvested. We did this 2 years ago & we are going to do the survey this year also (but try to expand to the whole lower 48).

-South
My bad south, I misread your post. I thought you were talking about all cut on contact heads not the COC expandable type. Again my bad, I just jumped on it because I thought someone was attacking my fixed blades And I know you didn't say if you cant get a fixed blade to switch to mechanical. I am just saying that I think that is what could be leading to more people shooting mechanicals. The new speeds of these new bows make it hard to get a fixed blade to fly correctly so I think that could be leading to more sales in the expandable department. Again its just my guess, no proof on that aspect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.