Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Adak island

Old 03-13-2011, 06:38 AM
Spike

Question Adak island

I am trying to plan a trip to Adak Island and have just heard that the island is well over hunted and there are limited (very) chances to take a bull. has anyone been there or can someone help me with the info. to have a great trip?
Old 03-13-2011, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not Adak, but may be another option if that doesn't work out. These are in the Aleutian Islands of AK:

http://www.jimshockey.com/pages/guid...reindeer-hunts
Old 03-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TKO TAXIDERMY
I am trying to plan a trip to Adak Island and have just heard that the island is well over hunted and there are limited (very) chances to take a bull. has anyone been there or can someone help me with the info. to have a great trip?
I've never hunted on Adak, but I've heard plenty about it in the hunting circles up here. Adak has potential for some huge bulls due to the lack of winter snow and no natural predators on the island. Down side is it's very expensive to get out there and back and it has received plenty of pressure in recent years because there was no limit and no closed season. The season on bulls was limited just a year or two ago to keep from overharvesting them so hopefully that will improve trophy quality. General concensus is you need a transporter to get away from the limited road system out there if you want to find a real hog of a bull and that'll up the costs even more. For the money I'd focus my attention elsewhere. The Central Arctic and Porcupine herds are both booming right now and you don't have to go clear out to the Aleutians to get to them. The other thing to keep in mind is that Adak has actual Alaskan Barren Ground Caribou whereas the other Aleutian Islands (with the exception of Unimak) have feral reindeer which are generally much smaller animals.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:23 AM
Spike

I have been looking into this myself, I know some fisherman who went there last year. I'm going to find out some info from them as soon as i get in contact with them, I'll let you know what i find out. One thing about Adak that is a plus if your planning on shipping the meat, there is a company out of Seattle that has freighters that go to Adak. There is some obvious planning involved in being ready when the boat leaves, but much cheaper than flying the meat. The down side is they only come as far as seattle. I have also heard there is, or at least was, a company doiong hunts there that were based off of ex-crab boats. That could be interesting.