Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Question?

Old 02-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default Question?

I was out shed hunting and spotted between two cedar trees something white. I squeezed in there and found upon a large pile of bones, a very nice 8 point rack with the skull still attached. The question is, what kind of predator piles up bones? The spot was just yds from an open field edge but very hard to see or get into. This animal likes to eat in private.
It was a natural tall grass opening between thick cover, with complete skeletons of deer, and mostly small calves, and lots of smaller animals too. But the one that got me was the full sized cow skeleton halfway under the fence on the North side of the dining room. What can drag full sized cows around? And what animal always returns to the same place to eat? We are not supposed to have bears or mountain lions in our part of the country, even though I've seen them, but I don't know enough about either one to say if they could or would do this. I live in Eagleville Missouri, and was about a mile from the Iowa line West of Hatfield. The pile of bones was literally mounded up in the middle to about 2feet high as if purposely stacked with the antlers I found on top. There were bones around that still smelled but most were sun bleached and had been there awhile. About half an hour before I found this mess, I had run into the land owner who had asked me to keep an eye open for a missing calf. He believes he has mountain lion problems. If anyone else has seen this type of thing and knows what I am dealing with here, I'd sure like to know.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I beleive you found the place the landowner, or somebody, throws his dead critters, and other animals have simple found the same spot and ate what has been thrown there. Wild animal don't make it a point to drag all their kills to one spot before eating.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Trail camera time! But I gotta agree with howler.
-Jake