Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Some info on saws..please

Old 07-25-2003, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Some info on saws..please

Hi, Fellow Elk hunters
My question is,Im looking to shed some weight on my pack,I normaly carry to Hatchets.I' m looking for a good light weight compact saw that can handle the duties of quatering any elk.

Any suggestion greatly accepted.If any of them are a specialty produt leave info from them.BBJ
Old 07-25-2003, 08:24 PM

Default RE: Some info on saws..please

I like the Wyoming II saw. It' s not the lightest but has a long stroke for removing elk antler caps.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I bought a Gerber saw last year and used it on two elk. It is light weight, the blade slides inside the handle and it cuts easily without grabbing on the bone. I got mine at Walmart for ten bucks.
Old 07-26-2003, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Browning folding game and camp saw. It really work good for quartering deer or cutting green limbs when setting up in tree stands. Replacement blades are available if required.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

I use one called a Danielson, it' s 13" long with 10" of cutting blade, it' s got sharp course teeth on one side of blade and a finer set of teeth on opposite side for ribs and such. It has a leather sheath and weighs about 1lb. Perfect for my daypack, it sits in the bottom. It has a strong gripable T handle. It' s taken care of a good 20 elk, I always cut off all four legs of elk, ring neck and finish it off with the saw. Have taken racks off about half of them, and it' s still going strong. Good Luck. elknut1
Old 07-26-2003, 08:21 AM
nub

I use the small one for moose. Bottom rt. corner of pic. Strap it on your belt if you like.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the sawvivor, it' s basically the same Gerber saw that big bulls describes, but it' s on the lighter side. I' ve used the wyoming saws, and still do, but I won' t carry them in a pack anymore, they are on the heavy side.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks,
I will look in to the folding one like Gerber.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:10 PM

BBJ, I just picked up the Gerber and the thing weighs aboout 8-10.oz plus it comes with a bone and wood saw,interchangable find them for around $20
Old 07-31-2003, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

I also use the Gerber and I like it alot.

Quick Reply: Some info on saws..please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.