Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need Advice on Colorado

Old 02-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Spike

Default Need Advice on Colorado

I am Planning a Elk and Mule Deer hunt in Colorado. I would like som input on atv hunting, camping, Ideas experience, etc. I am not a new hunter but this will be the first time in Colorado thank you all for your help and Ideas.

TAW
Old 02-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure what you mean by ATV hunting. No hunting is allowed on ATVs. In fact, you have to have your gun unloaded in a case when riding an ATV. And remember that ATVs can ONLY be driven on roads and specified ATV trails. They can NOT be used off road. They are great tools for getting to your hunting area but don't take them off road. The basic ticket for having one off road starts at $275 and up.

Do you have a backpack? If not, you will need to get one. If you get an elk down a mile or more from a road, you have to have a plan on getting it back to the ATV or truck. With elk, I have totally switched to the "gutless method" Do a search and you will find some links.

Some equipment that are essential in the mountains for a good hunt:

1) Good gore-tex boots and good socks (merino smart wool is my suggestion) are essential. You will be doing some steep hiking and if your dogs hurt or get blisters, you will not enjoy the hunt. I usually take two pair: one non insulated and one insulated with 200-400 gm of thinsulate. Unless you are going to be on a stand, you don't need more insulation

2) Good long johns. NEVER USE ANY WITH COTTON. Long johns are NOT to keep you warm. When you hike in the mountains you will sweat no matter how cold it is. The function of long johns is to wick moisture/sweat to your outer garments so your skin will stay dry. Buy quality polyester/wicking ones. Staying dry will keep you warm

3) Good raingear. I have a packable pair that I pull out when it rains (or gets real windy) that fits over any other clothes I may be wearing (including coats). My rain gear is non-insulated. I stay warm with other layers, this layer is just to keep me dry.

4) A good sleeping pad (I use thermarest) and a good sleeping bag. If you don't have a good pad you will not sleep comfortably and will get cold from the ground. If your bag doesn't keep you warm, you will be MISERABLE.

In other words, keep your feet happy and stay warm and dry and you will have a great time! I know you may want to skimp on costs, but if you skimp on any of these you are setting yourself up to be miserable. Eat crackers and peanut butter on the trip, but never buy cheap on the above mentioned things.

Good hunting

Last edited by txhunter58; 02-04-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Spike

Thank you for your info, My Dad lives in Colorado and has hunted for years, however do to his back he has not hunted in 20 years. he is now 68, From what research I have found from Co. the ATV deal you can use them , however you have to stay on trails etc. and can use them to get your animal out. As for base camp, how far can a person get say gunnison area or the flat tops?? Once again thanks for you help and input..
Old 02-05-2011, 05:32 AM
Spike

Default ATV Rules

On your ATV, They have to stay on trails event to get game out. The forest service is closing done more and more every day in Colorado. You can't go off the trail to retrieve downed game anymore. They have also passed a law that gives them the ability to take points of your hunting license it you get an ATV ticket while hunting. Make sure you gun is unloaded all the way. You cant have ammo even in the magazine while on an ATV. We are in Southwestern Colorado but I have hunted the flattops and there is plenty of elk there. I have some friends that have hunted the Gunnison area and they say there is better quality there then the flattops. Both of these places you can get as far in as you would like. Be careful in later seasons because a big snow storm is likely.

What season are you wanting to hunt?

www.coloradoelkcamp.com
Old 02-05-2011, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Flat tops is basically a wilderness area, so you have to park the ATV at the trailhead and walk (or ride a horse) into the wilderness. Sounds like The Gunnison area would be your better bet. Just remember that only the very lucky few will ever kill an animal within sight of a road, so plan on hoofing it and packing out your game. If you want an area your dad can hunt on, you might consider trying a tresspass private land hunt where you can do more "stand" type hunting. Public land usually means lots of moving around by foot. Otherwise you might consider renting a horse for you father and you walk. You can also use the horse as a pack animal. Lots of options!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been to Colorado 3x's for Elk. All w/ a bow. Its mostly motorized vehicle restricted. Forever wild wilderness area. You can only drive motorized vehicles, including atv's to the trail heads. From there its strictly all on foot, or horse back. I'd highly recommend horses if plan to hunt the flattops. Your atv's would only get you as far as your truck could. Its a huge area with different park areas amongst it. Stump park, Derby ridge park, Elk Park, Bear park to name a few. The Elk can be anyplace in the flatops, and you'll have to cover alot of ground, I mean miles sometimes to find them. I was riding on average 2-6hrs a day on horseback to find Elk. No way I could've walked those distances. So it may not be what your looking for. Even if you decide to spike camp it in a certain park area of the Flat tops you'd need horses to get your gear in & out.
Otherwise if atv's are your only means to get your father around. I'd look into private land.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Spike

Default Colorado Advice

Thanks for all the replies and advice, you have been a big help.. I think My father inlaw, andmyself and my dad are going the route of a semi guided hunt drop camp. that way we have some help packing out animals, some guide help to increase the odds, and most of all save money on equipment purchases. Here again that you all for your help, and Ideas..
Old 02-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

Please learn the law in Colorado concerning ATV's and follow it if you are bringing your ATV.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:48 PM
Spike

Default Colorado Elk

Colorado has good numbers of elk in most of the state. The Flat tops has lots of elk. The guy who said cover lots of ground was right. Use your optics as much as you can. If you do not see elk today go somewhere new in the morning. Do not hunt with your bud you can not cover enough ground that way. Slow down after you see them but not before. Do not look for tracks, droppings, trails or any thing but elk. Your dad might be able to get a permit to hunt from the ATV if he is disabled. As for using your atv to go get your kill The forest service office has detailed maps that will tell you yes or no. Good Hunting
Old 02-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Elk crossings aren't that hard to find..
I know of alot of hunters that just sit in their vehicals at these major elk crossings, smoke and drink coffee all day and wait for them to cross.They park close to these crossings about an 1 and a half before light, turn their vehicals off, and just sit there all day.Most of these guys are on the Unemployment hunting team and have the whole month to hunt them, but I have to admit it is an very effective method.I know of 26 elk ( out of 37 that I know of ) that where taken last year in this one particular management unit, using this method.
Some frown on it, I don't care one way or the other myself so long as it is legal.But yeah, it's a suggestion one if it's legal to do so, in Colarado give it a whirl if you want.. Your not in an All Terrain Vehical your in a truck. Don't know the laws about weather or not you can shoot from inside your vehical or not down there. Up here your not but it's nothing to load your rifle outside the truck set up on the hood or on the box of your truck and fire so long as its safe and your in a legal area to do so.. Might get frowned on by a few folks, but hey,
if it's legal what are they gonna do..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.