Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

tipping a guide

Old 02-02-2011, 03:26 AM
Dominant Buck

My past history on tips to guides is from 10 to 20 percent. I never tip the outfitter since I am paying him for the hunt. I have been lucky to have hunted with some very good guides and have paid the tips willingly and they deserved it. I always tip the cook a flat rate of 100 to 150 dollars and offer additional tips to anyone helping out with my game retrieval.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

15-20 % total tip is the norm, no matter where you go.

I'd recommemd you give some of that "up-front" to your guide and thank him, ok her, for scouting the area prior to your arrival.

If there are some "extras" is because someone deserved it, if the total tip ends up being 10% it's because you were not very happy by the end of the trip.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Spike

I have been a guide and now outfitter in the whitetail industry, typically our tip are 50-100$ a day ranging more if the guy kills an awesome buck over 150. Guides by some outfitters are really done dirty as the outfitter lied his tail off to get a guide out there was told we would eat free at the lodge, have our gas be paid, we were paid 120 a day only when we had hunters. Then he would play musical hunters when one of his part owner guided had somebody tag out so they would get the tip. Not only did those guys get the tips they were alotted the only property worth putting a hunter on. Funny thing is people keep going back to this guy, how I dont know. Oh ya th first thng he would ask in orientation is whether or not you were going to rebook for the next season or not. If you said yes you hunted good property. if you said IDK or no you hunted on doe kill properties where no decent bucks have ever been seen. Thats why I start my own outfit.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

I guide deer, hog and turkey hunts. A tip is a personal transaction that takes place between the guide and the hunter. A guide should never expect a tip, there are to many variables, good/bad hunt, rich/not-so-rich hunter, tipper/non-tipper.etc. I suppose some guides count on tips as part of their income, I don't. It is much more gratifying to me to get a warm heart-felt handshake and the promise to come hunt with me again.(priceless) I have worked my a-s off and received zero, I have been on easy hunts and received up to $1300.00 tip! It all depends on the hunter and how it all goes. An average I receive is around 10-15% of hunt cost.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Spike

Default yep

Originally Posted by romat
I guide deer, hog and turkey hunts. A tip is a personal transaction that takes place between the guide and the hunter. A guide should never expect a tip, there are to many variables, good/bad hunt, rich/not-so-rich hunter, tipper/non-tipper.etc. I suppose some guides count on tips as part of their income, I don't. It is much more gratifying to me to get a warm heart-felt handshake and the promise to come hunt with me again.(priceless) I have worked my a-s off and received zero, I have been on easy hunts and received up to $1300.00 tip! It all depends on the hunter and how it all goes. An average I receive is around 10-15% of hunt cost.
your right on the money.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree and he has the right attitude for success.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
My past history on tips to guides is from 10 to 20 percent. I never tip the outfitter since I am paying him for the hunt. I have been lucky to have hunted with some very good guides and have paid the tips willingly and they deserved it. I always tip the cook a flat rate of 100 to 150 dollars and offer additional tips to anyone helping out with my game retrieval.
I usually get tips when I guide even though I am the outfitter. Some years it's not uncommon for the guides with tips to make more than the outfitter, it happens. Having said that, I share my tips with the staff as they are awesome and really make camp go. I might take my tip money and buy gear headlamps, boots etc for the staff.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

TwoBears this is off topic but I want your opinion.I was I a discusion on another site.The topic was elk rifles.I said a 270win with a properly constructed bullet was adequate for elk if you keep the shot under 300yds.What's your opinion on my opinion?What would be the minimum caliber you would let a guy walk into your camp with?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jerry d
TwoBears this is off topic but I want your opinion.I was I a discusion on another site.The topic was elk rifles.I said a 270win with a properly constructed bullet was adequate for elk if you keep the shot under 300yds.What's your opinion on my opinion?What would be the minimum caliber you would let a guy walk into your camp with?
IMHO the best rifle for elk is the one you can shoot the most accurately with and are comfortable with. Sure, 270 is fine for shorter ranges, but I wouldn't consider it a good elk caliber. I would consider it a caliber that will suffice. I like the heavier magnums, but they do nobody any good if the shooter can hit squat with it. How many people really pratice with their rifles? How many people go out and set up jugs around the hills at different ranges? How many people really practice stress shooting? Placement placement placement. I want folks to really know and understand their rifles, and if thats with a 270, we are going to be better off then the guy who shoots a 338 rum 4x a year. As a side note, you would be amazed how many people miss what they are shooting at when elk hunting.

In general, I personally would stay away from a 270 for elk, but thats kind of the point of my post, it has a lot to do with the individual. I'll hunt deer in my area all day long with a .223, because I know it's all short range and I will hit exactly where I mean to. I would not recommend a .223 for deer hunting, however. Make sense?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Spike

Default What if?

Originally Posted by beech18
Tips shouldnt have a standard %. I believe a % shouldnt dicate a tip, the guy who saves for years to go on a hunt is expected to give a big tip is outragous. I dont see that being fair, to that guy who works his butt off to go on a hunt like that a 100.00-200.00 could mean a good tip for him and wouldnt meet the % he is suppose to tip. I think its up to the person and what they feel is right accordingly to what they can afford. The biggest factor does the guide even deserve a tip? The outfitter should pay there guides a fair honest wage and not rely on tips as part of there wage, if the outfitter cant afford to give more money in wages keeping a good guide they should raise there hunt prices to cover there guide wages. Tips are meant for a good job done and appiracation, but should not be expected. Prices on hunts range widely. A wilderness elk hunt could go for 4000.00 bucks and a private land hunt could go for 6000 for example purporses. Odds are the guide is going to have to work his butt off on the wilderness hunt and the private land hunt he might be able to drive around in the truck. If the set % is a standard in the industry, why should the guy going around in the truck get more of a tip than the guide hunting in a back country hunt, just because the price of the hunt says so? Do I believe in tips, yes, not by a % of the hunt cost. I believe in what the hunter himself thinks is fair.
Another question, what if the Outfitter is the Guide? I've seen it happen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.